Ginger Beer Plant - SG and alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbuckley70

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into making ginger beer using an authentic ginger beer plant culture. So not just regular yeast.

My question is: can you calculate final alcohol content by the usual method of measuring drop in SG?

I read somewhere that this isn't feasible with a ginger beer plant culture because the bacteria consume part of the alcohol created by the yeast.

Is that true?

I'm basically doing a primary fermentation in a wide necked kilner jar then going straight to bottling. So not excluding oxygen in the first stage.

Any info. welcome!

Yes - I think it could work OG vs FG - but it probably won't get very high or you may kill your plant if you put too much sugar to make the original gravity worth it?? I'm making ginger beer "natural - from a ginger bug - actually came on forum to look for help re kegging it - lol just kegged 5G of "natural ginger beer" - self fermenting - more like a ginger ale - and had some ?s I didn't measure gravity - on this cuz from my understanding these cultures plant and bug more so bug don't ferment high enough to produce alot of alcohol.. I had trouble getting the bug going so I did do a regular ginger beer - with bug then a yeast soooo a natural F1 then F2 with a yeast - to make a hard ginger beer - takes longer to clear etc so still waiting on that one ;) good luck!!! I'm curious how it worked out - last month already??

Back