Gigayeast Vermont IPA issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully20331

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
2 days ago I made 10gals of my house IPA and split the batch to use two different yeasts. Pitched US05 in one, and took off within 12 hours. Second one was with Gigayeast Vermont IPA double pitch pack. It has now been 36 hours and noooottthhhiiinnggg. Both were pitched at 70*, shook the fermentors like crazy to aerate, and in a fermentation chamber steady at 64*.
Gave the bucket a little swirl last night before bed, but no change. Took a gravity reading, no change.
The pack was about 6 weeks old.

Has anyone else had this experience or can offer any insight?

Im planning on waiting another 12 hours and then just going to pitch some US05, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

What was the "date of production" on the yeast? I am fermenting 15 gallons of 1.070 OG IPA with that same yeast right now....it took off like a rocket and is almost done 3 days later

The best overall advice I can give you is to always make a starter with liquid yeast. This guarantee's viability of the yeast.

Yep- Used Giga for a NE IPA a few weeks ago. Made a 1.5L starter 48 hrs before pitch. Didn't see much activity while sitting on the stirplate. On brew day I harvested a set amt and pitched the rest.

For this brew, I fermented in a bucket. Taped the lid closed. Not a one bubble in the airlock. At day 3 I opened the bucket and there were signs of fermentation but nothing like I thought I would get. I ended up pitching some 1056 slurry to get my gravity down, which finished at 1.015.

I've been told that the 1st generation of Giga Vermont is sluggish and should make a blonde ale first and use the slurry to pitch.

I will be doing that with the harvested amount I have and will use that for my future brews.

Latest posts

Back