Ghetto Converted BIAB RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
My rig started as a 3 tier RIMS system. I now primarily BIAB and no chill. Here's some pics from today's brew day:

This is the front of the all electric system during the mash:
IMG_5493.JPG

Recirculating. I now use a steamer basket (from a turkey fryer) with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. This is a 10 pound grain bill in a 10 gallon pot. I used some SS bolts to make legs for the basket.
IMG_5494.JPG

A shot of the rear showing the RIMS tube:
IMG_5497.JPG

Draining. I used a new grill grate to rest the basket on:
IMG_5503.JPG

A shot from the side during draining:
IMG_5504.JPG

Grains before I dump them:
IMG_5508.JPG

Draining wort into my cube after boil:
IMG_5510.JPG

Wort for my RWS (real wort starter):
IMG_5511.JPG

Very nice. I like the grill over the kettle. I usually toss it in a bucket with collander. I like the grill over the kettle better.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my fryer basket. I have a round stainless braid on the bottom, so the basket shoud have a flat surface to sit. You don't think the basket confines the grian too much do you. I normally like to let it spread out in the keggle as much as possible. May the recirc helps. I direct fire mine. I'll drain and pour over the will firing just to be sure, but I've fired it directly with just stirring and haven't had any problems. I'll use a paint stirrer during the mash quite a bit.

How BIAB's have you done?

I You don't think the basket confines the grian too much do you.

How BIAB's have you done?

The grains were pretty "loose" in the bag. But I'd top at 12 lbs or so max with this basket, but it was "free." I want to "upgrade" to a larger pot and basket, like 15 gallons. Thinking of going to partial mash 10 gallon batches. Mash as much as possible, then add DME to make the rest up. Cut it down to one brew day a month.

I've done 15+ BIAB's. I'd have to look at my notes, but I don't remember the last time I didn't use the bag. I've only sparged a couple of times this year. Have been no-chill for a long time as well. My brew days are pretty stress free now. I can focus now more on the actual recipe, conditioning, etc.

I've done about at least 10 this year alone I was sparging at the beginning of year when I found that aussihomebrew thread. I really don't like the sparge.

I did a "normal" sparge brew about a month ago on the keggle. It was a mess, but it was my own fault. I built a false bottom w/ hinges. One side popped up. I scorched my keggle pretty bad. the beer didn't taste bad, but the whole night was a mess. I just dumped it. I think I forgot to add hops, or the hops I had were very, very old from LHBS.

I would say stess was a factor when sparging, but it was very busy. I remember the first No sparge batch this year constantly was thinking I forgot something. I really like the time to prep other things.

I'm really considering going electric.

I like it. I'm going to brew my first brew in 15yrs later this week. It will be a mash/extract batch, but then I'm going back to AG. I will also use a bag inside a cooler and recirculate through an inline heater. My kettle will be LP, but I'd like to have electric.

bakins,
What kind of controls do you have on your system? I can see some digital temp displays, but wonder what is controlling the heating element and pump.

my basket is to skinny and tall to be effective. I get a little weird about the bag on the bottom of the kettle. I do have a SS braid in the bottom that the bag sits on top of but I'm sure its touching the bottom.

bakins,
What kind of controls do you have on your system? I can see some digital temp displays, but wonder what is controlling the heating element and pump.

Pump is just a normal "light" switch.

The elements (RIMS and pot) use a PID and SSR as well as a DPST switch.

Everything is in water proof boxes.

my basket is to skinny and tall to be effective. I get a little weird about the bag on the bottom of the kettle. I do have a SS braid in the bottom that the bag sits on top of but I'm sure its touching the bottom.

What about using a vegetable steamer?

41Z7F5P8ZRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

My problem with the steamer basket is that it sat on the rim of the pot (like it was supposed to), which meant half my grain was not even submerged. I had 14 lbs in a 5 gallon strainer, and it was way too packed. Had to rethink my first AG pretty quick there.

My question is - is the steamer basket on this from a smaller pot?

good call on the veggie steamer. I have a false bottom I put together for direct fired mashes. I was going to go to a more traditional mash with keggle . I did one and ask myself why?

My question is - is the steamer basket on this from a smaller pot?

Yes. The pot is 10 gallon. The pot is from an 8 gallon turkey fryer. I added 4 inch legs made from SS bolts to the pot to keep it up off the bottom to clear the element.

I looked at some 15 gallon fryer pots with baskets and they looked like they should work. Not sure about your particular setup.

Do you find that when you do BiaB like this, and recirculate, then you get an initial wort clarity more similar to what people are getting in 'standard' 2 and 3 tank systems?

I am assuming since this uses what was originally a 3-vessel RIMS system, that the heating element is not in the kettle with the bag. Would it work to put the heating element through a bulkhead into the kettle, as long as the bag is resting on some type of false bottom above the heating element?

My wife and I just put the bag together today, and I am wondering whether I can convert from the turkey fryer propane burner to electric, and then perhaps later to a recirculating system. Any words of wisdom on how the final state should look (temperature controller, thermometer, pump, plumbing configurations, etc.), so that if I go there in steps I will know where I might be headed?

I am assuming since this uses what was originally a 3-vessel RIMS system, that the heating element is not in the kettle with the bag. Would it work to put the heating element through a bulkhead into the kettle, as long as the bag is resting on some type of false bottom above the heating element?

No, I just use a single vessel. The pot that basket/bag is in also has the element in it. I got a new 15 gallon SS pot with a steamer basket in it, but the concept is still the same.

No, I just use a single vessel. The pot that basket/bag is in also has the element in it. I got a new 15 gallon SS pot with a steamer basket in it, but the concept is still the same.

Thanks for the reply. My plans are coming together.

Not to totally take this off track - but the Speidel Braumeister seems to me to be just like a giant old-time coffee perculator. They just put a tube up the middle to recirculate the wort from the heated bottom area.

Seems bakins setup just puts the recirculation path outside the kettle instead of up through the middle. Maybe a little less elegant, but certainly just as functional & easier to construct.

It also doesn't cost 8500 euros or require a 400 volt electric service!
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/shop_content.php/coID/37/content/Braumeister-200l/XTCsid/622dcb65g5cgaefe6ah71fp6o7

bakins, how is your wort clarity with the recirc and leaving the grain in the kettle. I got a pump for x-mas and bought a $10 igloo cube. I'm curious how clear your wort is in the kettle after removing the grain, not a big concern, just curious.

I use gas and was wanting to get the grain out of the kettle and just recirc the wort through it. I think I might reduce my chances of scorching with the cooler. It looks like some are getting crystal clear wort when recirculating through the cooler.

bakins, what kind of efficiency are you getting with this system? Im planning to build a similar setup myself :)

bakins, how is your wort clarity with the recirc and leaving the grain in the kettle.

It's fine. I no-chill as well. All of my beers have been clear as can be (no chill-haze either). I use whirlfoc and do a 5-10 minute whirlpool at end of boil. I did a cream-of-3-crops (very light beer) and it's free of visual flaws.

I always do a 90 minute boil. Not sure if that helps, but I like it because I get a nice hot break before I add my hops.

So it sounds like the efficiency is good, but I wonder what size pot and basket you'd need to effectively do 10 gal batches of medium-high gravity beers like IPA's (1.060-1.070) and 5 gallon batches of big stuff like barleywines.

I'm thinking 20 gallon blichmann, with a 15 gallon bayou classic basket. If bling ain't your thing....guess you could go with a bayou classic/basket combo, but you'd give up the sight gauge/valve/thermo.

I'm thinking 20 gallon blichmann, with a 15 gallon bayou classic basket. If bling ain't your thing....guess you could go with a bayou classic/basket combo, but you'd give up the sight gauge/valve/thermo.

Sight glasses, valves, and thermos are relatively cheap and easy to install.

bakins-

You mentioned you got a new pot/basket combo. What brand is it, what did it cost, etc.?

More importantly, is the basket a bit shorter than the pot so it creates space for the element? Seems like if the basket and pot were made to fit together this way, you could totally forgo the "legs" on the basket.

Also, when boiling....do the bubbles make it through the basket? I guess I'm wondering if the basket is obstructing circulation in the pot.....I want to keep hop utilization high and also prevent a boilover from erupting under the basket.

You mentioned you got a new pot/basket combo. What brand is it, what did it cost, etc.?

It's a bayou classic. Basket and pot cost $155, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTEQBK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

More importantly, is the basket a bit shorter than the pot so it creates space for the element?

Yes, the basket sits about 2.5" from the bottom and clears the element fine. No need for legs on it.

Also, when boiling....do the bubbles make it through the basket? I guess I'm wondering if the basket is obstructing circulation in the pot

I don't boil with the basket in. I no-chill and run most of the trub into my "cubes" and siphon the wort off of it when it's at pitching temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't boil with the basket in. I no-chill and run most of the trub into my "cubes" and siphon the wort off of it when it's at pitching temp.

I imagine you could boil with basket partially in, and that would take the place of a hop bag......

I imagine you could boil with basket partially in, and that would take the place of a hop bag......

The holes in the basket are 3/8-1/2",so unless I lined it with mesh (I've been thinking about using SS), it wouldn't help. For me, it'd not be worth the hassle of trying to keep the pot in - I'd have to dump the grains and rinse the basket first. But that's just me. All the hops settle out in the cube and a whirlpool and leave the worst of it in the BK. If you were gonna use a plate chiller or something, then I can see it's use. I personally use my plate chiller as a paper weight.

You'd definitely have to use SS mesh. I use primarily whole hops, so there needs to be some sort of coarse filtration in place or the pump and CFC will be quickly chewing on whole hop cones.

I plan on dumping the grains and using the basket again. If you're doing BIAB, you have to dump the grains anyway. With a rigid container like a basket, it should be easy; dump it in the trash, "tap" it against the rim a few times, and rinse it upside down in the sink. Or throw it in the dishwasher. Easy Peasy. Spraying out grain/hop bags can take a while...and detergents in the washer are undesireable.

Or a second bag for hops would allow you to get the boil and hops going before cleaning out the first bag for the mash.

Been following this thread since I do BIAB and really want to improve my process. How much efficiency do you pick up with recirculation? Or is it more a quality thing... that you can better control mash temp and such?

Or a second bag for hops would allow you to get the boil and hops going before cleaning out the first bag for the mash.

You could certainly do this. I'm taking a cheap and simple method and making it expensive and difficult :mug:

I'm still in the planning phase, but I want to show that it is possible for us to build a beautiful, fully capable, compact rig from one vessel using top quality parts....vs. a 3 vessel monster that costs more, takes up more space, and offers no greater capability in brewing. Maybe I can keep this one inside :p

Back