GF IPA, Looking for feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv9aguy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

After a lot of research and advice gathering, I've decided my first batch of GF beer will be an American IPA based on O'Daniel's Gluten Free Sorgham Ale. I'm using Midfielder5's hop schedule (I've got Centennial and Cascade in stock) and Spaced's recommendation to balance the sorgham with buckwheat honey (a la DFH's Tweason'ale). Amaranth and Buckwheat will be from Bob's Red Mill and will be roasted as O'Daniel described.

I'll be brewing sometime next week and will be going half batch size for the trial. In the meantime, I'd very much appreciate any advice for adjusting this recipe. Also, I've gotten different opinions on the timing of the maltodextrine and honey additions - I'd like your thoughts on that.

Batch Size: 2.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057
Estimated ABV: 6.4%
Estimated IBU: 65.8
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM

3.30 lbs White Sorghum Syrup 2.6 SRM
1.00 lbs Roasted Amaranth 25.0 SRM
1.00 lbs Roasted Buckwheat 19.6 SRM

0.75 lbs Buckwheat Honey 60.0 SRM (60 min / 10 min / Flameout ?)
2.50 oz Maltodextrine (60 min / 5 Min ?)

0.75 oz Centennial [10.00%] 60 min / 52.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] 15 min / 9.4 IBU
0.40 oz Cascade [7.10%] 10 min / 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10%] Dry Hop

Irish Moss @ 10 Min
Safale US-05​

Thanks!

Looks good. Probably add the honey at flameout. If there is any flavour that it imparts, more will carry through at flameout than earlier in the boil from what I've read.

Maltodextrine I put in right at the begining of the boil.

You'll have to let us know how this goes, looks very tasty.

Probably add the honey at flameout. If there is any flavour that it imparts, more will carry through at flameout than earlier in the boil from what I've read.

That's what I've been leaning towards - thanks for confirming Spaced. I'll report back as I progress.

Cheers!

I did one a few months ago, added both my honey and the maltodextrine with about 5-10minutes left in boil. The thing I'd caution about adding the honey at flame out is making sure it dissolves completely. Otherwise adding it late (within the last 15 minutes) is pretty typical.

Hops look good - Centennial is one of my favorites. I also used Columbus in mine and it turned out great. good luck!

Hops look good - Centennial is one of my favorites. I also used Columbus in mine and it turned out great. good luck!

Oh yes. I've done a All Centennial IPA twice, I love it. Additions every 15 minutes from 60 to 0.

...added both my honey and the maltodextrine with about 5-10minutes left in boil.

Have you guys experimented with timing of the maltodextrine addition? Any difference in mouthfeel due to early vs. late addition?

The thing I'd caution about adding the honey at flame out is making sure it dissolves completely.

Good point - I've noticed that with tea. I tend to put my chiller in during the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize, so trying to mix in honey around that would be a PITA. I'll plan on adding the honey just before that.

Thanks again for all the help.

I've only used malto a couple of times, and always late in the boil. The stuff that I bought from the LHBS even says right on the package to add in the last 15 minutes. Not to say there aren't more ways to skin a cat, but that's what the manufacturer says to do...

Progress report: I brewed it last night. SG was 1.055 rather than the estimated 1.057, but I took some guesses on potential so that's to be expected. The airlock is bubbling away nicely and there is about 1/8" of krausen which I understand is normal due to the different protein strains in sorghum. I picked up a 3 gal better bottle for doing this half sized batch - I like it.

To keep things simple, and to avoid buying another small carboy, I plan to dry hop it in the primary.

I'll post a pic later, and I'll post updates as I progress. Thanks again for all the help!

Sounds like it's on track, looking forward to your progress reports in a few weeks.

Pics as promised. To give a reference point for color - the carboy on the left is a stout at 3 weeks, expected color about 36 SRM:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Probably not just you - I'm new to this. Strange that I can see them, though. Let me try again...

To give a reference point for color - the carboy on the left is a stout at 3 weeks, expected color about 36 SRM:
DSC01622.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

Progress update.

Tomorrow is the three week mark, and I just dry hopped and took first reading. 1.012, which is a little higher than I expected but, again, my numbers were based on guesses so I'm satisfied for my first GF attempt.

It's clearing up well, but I think I'll cold crash it and hit it with gelatin in a week. Color is much lighter than expected - but I'm not surprised considering that SWMBO cut short the roasting session after experiencing the, um, aromas being generated by the process.

Taste is very light with definite sorghum twang.

Next update in a week or so when I bottle.

Update: Bottled.

FG ended up at 1.011 for an ABV of 5.8%. Taste is not unpleasant and after conditioning might be quite good. It's light and crisp, although with sorghum twang. That said, it has mellowed out quite a bit after dry hopping - much better than in many commercial GF beers I've tasted. Unfortunately the hop aroma didn't come through much at all, so I won't be calling this an IPA. I'm going to have to experiment a bit there. I'll see what carbonation does to it after a few weeks.

I'd say color is in the 4-6 SRM range.

color.jpg

(Sorry, took the picture after drinking most of the sample...)

Unfortunately the hop aroma didn't come through much at all

At what day in the fermentation did you dry hop it? I definitely recomend increasing the amount of hops for dry hopping an ipa as well. I would put at least an ounce in at 7 days.

As this was a half sized batch, I went with .65 oz. cascade for 8 days. Adjusted up from my original plan of .50 oz. to correct for lower alpha.

As this was a half sized batch, I went with .65 oz. cascade for 8 days. Adjusted up from my original plan of .50 oz. to correct for lower alpha.

Sorry yeah, didn't notice it was a half batch. That should have been more than enough.

Yeah, I thought so too. Hops were newly purchased and seemed quite fresh, so I don't think age was an issue. But heck, sometimes things just go differently than planned - especially since considering GF is a whole new world of brewing for me. I'm looking forward to tasting this after it's been conditioned - I think this might be a good summer beer.

Back