getting ready for first brew, want to make sure I have everything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tante

Reaction score
what I have:

outdoor burner
10 gallon stainless steel pot
25 foot wort chiller with hose hookups
hydrometer
5 gallon carboy
carboy
carboy cap
carboy handle
auto siphon
corny keg
keezer
extract kit (Harpoon UFO hefeweizen clone)

am I missing anything? do I need to buy something special to mix the wort during boil. Anything special to transfer from the steel pot to the carboy? What do I use to regulate the temperature during fermentation?

any help would be appreciated.

*** ADDED ITEMS UPDATE*****
you guys are best. I added a 6.5 gallon bucket, airlock (3 piece type), dial thermometer, 10 inch funnel with strainer, Nylon boiling bag, 21 inch stainless stirring spoon.

for the thermometer strip I see one on midwest (where I am getting everything else). http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dual-scale-liquid-thermometer.html is this a good one, or should I get something for say a fishtank.

Little things like a stirring spoon, thermometer, a thermometer strip for the carboy, either an airlock or blowoff for the carboy and patience. Cheers and happy brewing!

You need an airlock or a blowoff tube.

And you should get a funnel (with maybe a strainer) so you can transfer the wort from the pot to the carboy.

You need a big spoon, a funnel and a thermostat.

Just get a big spoon to mix the extract into your wort. Nothing special or fancy there.

You will need an airlock to put on top of your carboy during fermentation.

To pour the wort into the carboy, use a big funnel. I think most people (I know I do) use a bucket for primary fermentation. Buckets have the benefit of a) having a big mouth which allows you to vigorously pour the wort back and forth a couple times to aerate it and b) has more headroom, which helps with CO2 escaping during primary fermentation. I don't use my carboy until at least a weak after my yeast has been pitched, and then I transfer it using just a rubber tube. You'll need a racking cane and siphon hose to get the beer out of your carboy anyway, so go ahead and buy one of each. I also recommend using the bucket to bottle your beer (get a bottling bucket initially, you can use it to bottle and ferment).

As far as keeping the temperature regulated, just keep your beer inside where you can regulate the temperature with your home's thermostat. Ale yeasts pretty much just need to be at room temperature, so if it's comfortable in the house for you, it should be comfortable in the house for your beer.

So, if you don't have them yet, I recommend you get:
1 (or 2) bottling bucket(s)
1 large spoon
1 racking cane
1 siphon hose
1 bottling wand (for when you bottle- don't need it till then)
1 air lock
1 funnel

I think that's it. Did I forget anything?

what I have:

outdoor burner
10 gallon stainless steel pot
25 foot wort chiller with hose hookups
hydrometer
5 gallon carboy
carboy
carboy cap
carboy handle
auto siphon
corny keg
keezer
extract kit (Harpoon UFO hefeweizen clone)

am I missing anything? do I need to buy something special to mix the wort during boil. Anything special to transfer from the steel pot to the carboy? What do I use to regulate the temperature during fermentation?

any help would be appreciated.

I used a long plastic mash paddle to stir when I was extract brewing. A very long spoon would work just as well.

You can use your auto-siphon to get the wort into the carboy.

I have a chest freezer with a digital temp controller I use as a fermentation chamber. Before that, I just put the fermentor in the house. If your house stays at a relatively normal temperature (not above 72), you'll probably be OK.

I'm not seeing an airlock in your list. Are you planning on a blow-off hose?\

Are you just going to drop your hops straight in or do you have a muslin or nylon bag?

Assuming you have a brewing thermometer as well.

It's intimidating, huh? It seems like it at first. Listen to all of these suggestions. These guys have been there and done it. Make notes during your brew day on things that you think about that you could use at the moment. Then get them for your next brew.

The key is to relax and enjoy the process! Your making beer!

one more question. Since I am going to use a bucket (plastic fermenter) as my primary, how do you measure the temp? I am guessing that a thermometer strip won't work that well.

Wine/Beer Thief - makes taking samples so much easier when using a carboy

I'm not sure I want to use a carboy. I may keep it in the bucket (primary only) and then straight to the corny and let it sit for a few more weeks.

I am planning on having help, but there is something I am missing. Why is it necessary to have help?

Because pouring 5 gallons of wort from a 10 gallon pot into a carboy isn't as easy as it looks, wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, but you can always siphon.

Because pouring 5 gallons of wort from a 10 gallon pot into a carboy isn't as easy as it looks, wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, but you can always siphon.

Yeah, I would whirlpool your beer in the pot for 20 mins or so once your near pitching temperatures. And then siphon the beer from the sides to leave as much trub as you can behind. And since you have an autosiphon, that should be cake. I brew 5.5 gallon batches and dump large volumes of boiling water by myself without any trouble so it can be done if needed.

one more question. Since I am going to use a bucket (plastic fermenter) as my primary, how do you measure the temp? I am guessing that a thermometer strip won't work that well.

I use a laboratory thermometer to measure the temperature during the brewing process. Once I get the wort to the right temp to pitch the yeast, I pitch it then seal the bucket with the lid. I trust that the temp of the beer is going to stay around room temperature, so whatever temperature is in the house is nearly what the temperature of the beer is. You should see bubbles within the first 24 hours or so, and the bubbles will slowly trail off to few or none over roughly a week. If this happens, your temperature is right.

I forgot one thing that I always make sure I have when brewing a batch; beer to drink while brewing, and beer to drink while waiting.

Back