Getting out of eBIAB? Burnt Wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
So I burnt another batch. It was a wheat and I normally only make IPAs. I would like to be able to make summer wheats but my system just doesn't seem to do it. I have burnt probably close to 10 batches but since have made modifications and I think wheat is my only issue now. I am hoping to hear some positive wheat stories or see a problem with my system, otherwise I may be making a mash tun tonight.
System:4500watt 220vac camco element. MyPin PID controller with PW control for boil. 44 qt bayou with false bottom. Voile bag that sits about 1 in above heater on false bottom.
5 Gal mash 11 lbs grain, 4lbs were wheat. I build my water and test pH so mash thickness is not an issue.
Mashed in at 150 for 60min. Heater does work throughout mash. Pulled bag and dropped it in a 2gal bucket of water for a kind of dunk sparge. It sits while heating the wort close to boiling. I dump the rest of the 2 gal into the boil kettle after about 10 min and once I am up close to boiling I turn the heater onto 50% PW. It boils at a good roll but not too hard for 60 min and I finish as expected. Hit OG but only about 5gal. When transferring to fermenter I notice all the wheat trub and how thick it is down around the heater. Taste a sample 2 days later and it a familiar burnt.

So did I stir while making these heating transitions, probably a little but nothing crazy. I cannot have a failed batch due to stirring a little vs a lot. I also have a pump but it was leaking so I did not use it. It is a very cheap amazon pump and it moves little fluid so I am not sure if it will move enough during brew to minimize scorch. I am not sure if the scorch was during mash, transition to boil, or boil. I suspect on the transition because the heater was on with no pulse for some period and although the bag was pulled there was probably a lot of thick wheat at the bottom but I am not sure. I may go to a mash tun and then back to the eBoil kettle with better PW management. I must admit my sloppy brew was due to a few beers. After my mash was good pH I was pretty relaxed. Any words of wisdom? and stories of long term eBIAB success including wheat beers? Anyone else mash in a cooler and then drain back to the ekettle?

Try a batch where you turn the heat off so there is no possibility of scorching and shorten your mash to 30 minutes to reduce heat loss. Unless your crush is really bad, 30 minutes should give you full conversion.

You also might be scorching as you start heating toward boil. Can you step the heating in small increments so the heating element isn't going full strength as your bring the temp up? Even with PWM, I suspect that when you tell the controller you want the wort at 212 F. it gives you a 100% pulse width. Smaller temperature changes may get you less width of pulse.

Are you cleaning your element spotless after every brew? A build up of trub on the element seems to worsen with time and lead to a scorch. Starting with a spotless element will help IME.

A said above, try not heating during the mash, and then stir on the ramp to boil would be my approach.

Thanks a lot for the response guys. I was really just down about it. I am going to clean it very well as that is a possibility and I think from mash to boil I may just leave it on 50% pw. That is a second on and a second off. It may take all night that way but I don't want a burn. When do others turn off their PID and go to just a pulse width output for boil control? I never set the pid to 212 I normally go to 190 and then go manual but as I said I don't really want any hard full in times. Maybe I will go incrementally as TM mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I burnt a batch that had wheat in it.
What a feeling.....pouring 10 gallons out... but... I basically took the advice given here and have not had any issues since.
So there is HOPE for you and your beer.

I now grind my grain once at .035, to much flour will end up sticking to the element, that is what burns.
I replaced my element because getting all the scorch off of it was not happening no matter what I did.
Now after every batch I scrub it, completely, with a stainless scrubby, it is a a pain but has to be done.
After every batch or 2 on an off day, I put in enough water to cover the element and turn on the heat to around 200 and put in some PBW into the water, let that cook for about 20 minutes, drain and scrub it again, to get all the hard water spots, etc off of it... it is then like new again.

During the brew -
I use a stir motor during the mash and during the ramp up to boil.
When it starts boiling there is no worry and no stirring needed.
I dont do anything with the duty cycle when mashing or ramping up to temps and I have no issues.

A stir motor is a great addition to an eBiab system in my opinion.

Let us know if this fixes your issues.

thansk Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I rebuilt my little pump and I think it will do a lot better now. I then went to clean the heating element and like you're saying it's very difficult. I know it's had some scorch for a while or lease I don't clean it often and the last one I'm sure put a good cake on it. I ended up burning off with a propane torch but I'm not done. will see how that goes I obviously did not Brew last night but will hopefully be in a good position to brew soon. Another note I recently tightened my crush way down so back to factory for the week

Thanks Kevin. I rebuilt my little pump and I think it will do a lot better now. I then went to clean the heating element and like you're saying it's very difficult. I know it's had some scorch for a while or lease I don't clean it often and the last one I'm sure put a good cake on it. I ended up burning off with a propane torch but I'm not done. will see how that goes I obviously did not Brew last night but will hopefully be in a good position to brew soon. Another note I recently tightened my crush way down so back to factory for the wheat. One question, what is a stir motor or pump.

I'm a big fan of recirculating during the mash and while ramping up to a boil. I do a double crush at .039 and get a good crush with minimal flour. I haven't had any issues with scorching. (Knock on wood). As stated in other posts, a clean element is also very important.

Brewed my wheat batch Wednesday night. I got my amazon pump working fairly well and it seemed to be moving wort around during mash. I also crushed at close to stock on my barley crusher. I stired the pot very little after mash in so to not disturb the grain and get more flour on the element. I noticed much less flour in the pot when finished although my efficiency was about 5% lower than normal. I still heated during mash but after pulling the grains I stirred a lot then ramped to boil. Without the bag in place my pump kept the wort moving very well. In the end after transferring my heater seems pretty clean without any cakes on flour. I would attribute the hopeful success of this brew to the clean element and stock crush. Oh and obviously the pump helped. I will update if I still have problems but thanks a lot for all the help and encouragement.

Latest posts

Back