Getting into Some NEW Things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedyeti

Reaction score
I posted on HBT a while back, but I hardly ever use an actual computer and the HBT app is not as effective as actually being on here. Recently have started taking my brewing to new levels as well as devotion. I started brewing back in August with a Northern Brewer deluxe kit and now I am trying to step up my game. I recently upgraded to three burners, built a mash tun, made a paddle, and ordered a keg system with fridge mount.I also bought the Beersmith software about a week ago and have been playing around with that. I have gone through about 4 or 5 different batches of homebrew since starting and I am obsessed! The keg is being shipped as we speak. I have never tried kegging before. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for a first timer? Also I was hoping to have someone share knowledge with me about only kegging a portion of my batch and bottling the rest? Can I only put say 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg?:mug:

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

Sure you CAN put 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg, but why? You can force carbonate the entire keg, then chill, reduce the pressure, and dispense right into sanitized bottles and cap.
It helps to drop the temp and pressure before dispensing into the bottles to minimize the amount of head. But you want to fill up into the neck and cap with foam. That way when they settle you have a minimal headspace for the CO2 in solution to have to outgas to pressurize.
By bottling from the keg you eliminate the yeast sediment in each bottle.
(Or you can simply put 3 gallons in the keg and use sugar to prime the rest for bottling.)

Haha that's definitely the way to go then. Thanks. I imagine it would be a lot easier to fill bottles from a tap rather than a hose and bottling bucket.

Haha that's definitely the way to go then. Thanks. I imagine it would be a lot easier to fill bottles from a tap rather than a hose and bottling bucket.

It's worse.

Best thing for taking beer from kegs on the go is to just fill up a growler and boot it! Grrrrrrrowler!!!

Or..... those larger bottles with swing top lids would be okay. but 12oz bottles? nah.

Nothing beats a bottling bucket + bottling wand for filling regular bottles.

Biermunchers bottle filler setup is what I use to fill bottles out of the keg, it's easy, cheap and works like a charm. Here's a link to it.

I always use a keg to bottle. I transfer from the carboy to the keg, purge with CO2, set CO2 to about 2-3 PSI, and bottle.

I use a cobra tap with a racking cane end and a stopper attached to fill the bottles. I can really control the flow of the beer. I think it minimizes O2 contact as well.

I generally don't carbonate the beer before bottling. If I'm bottling everything I'll add sugar to the keg. Otherwise I use carbonation tabs for each bottle.

I always use a keg to bottle. I transfer from the carboy to the keg, purge with CO2, set CO2 to about 2-3 PSI, and bottle.

I use a cobra tap with a racking cane end and a stopper attached to fill the bottles. I can really control the flow of the beer. I think it minimizes O2 contact as well.

I generally don't carbonate the beer before bottling. If I'm bottling everything I'll add sugar to the keg. Otherwise I use carbonation tabs for each bottle.

If you're already transferring to a keg and pressurizing, then using a counterpressure method to bottle, why aren't you just force carbing? What's the point of this process if you are still priming?

If you're already transferring to a keg and pressurizing, then using a counterpressure method to bottle, why aren't you just force carbing? What's the point of this process if you are still priming?

+1... Unless you like the yeast sediment?????

If I can get rid of the yeast sediment and not have to worry about measuring sugars to get the carbonation right. This is definitely the way to go

Another question, is there any problem with mounting the CO2 for the keg inside my fridge?

No issue besides space.

Just be aware that the gauge on the regulator that tells you how much there is inside the tank will decrease because of the cold temp. It won't necessarily mean a leak but if you're new to it it may also disguise a leak. Be sure to test all connections outside of the fridge thoroughly and make sure there are no leaks, and then notice the difference in the regulator after it's been chilled for 12-24 hours and note that as your true tank pressure number. Good luck!

Back