Getting hope aroma with a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I created a hellsbock which came out quite well. A bit on the bitter side but not bad and the hope flavor came through. I know that the aroma compounds are really volatile and the lagering for about 12 weeks at 32 degrees didn't really help.

The description tells me that it should have some sort of hope aroma though, but I don't know how that is achieved. M hop schedule was fairly standard:

2oz 60min
.5oz 15min
.5oz at knockout

OG was about 70 FG about 16. I have a nice bittered bear and you can really taste the hops, but the malt beer doesn't smell floral at all.

I love to dry hope. I find the beer comes out with more of an optimistic flavor profile.

Also I considered dry hopping but that would require the dry hoping to occur during the lager, I am not even sure that makes sense. I have a kegging system as well but I didn't really want to put hop pellets into the keg since it might gum things up.

Also no, it doesn't smell like change, it just doesn't have a clear malt or hop aroma, sort of a blend or nothing really coming through.

I was trying to brew to style and it said that it could have no to moderate hop aroma, I am not even sure if it is possible to lager and still get hop aroma from the boil, so I was sort of throwing the question out there.

Back