Getting a job at a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been able to drink for free there since my good friends were in the tap room.You guys really might think im crazy now but i dont drink much.I drink like a beer a day maybe a few on sundays with friends.I might go a week with out craving a beer at all.

Wait, What?

You were already receiving the one true benefit besides "doing what you love and never working a day in your life" already? You should have kept your real job so you could have hooked up your buddies with Pizza.

I did landscape design / sales/ maintenance for a high end nursery. no pizza to hook people up with.

I did landscape design / sales/ maintenance for a high end nursery. no pizza to hook people up with.

They were providing the beer and because you were making the "big bucks", you should have bought the pizza...... to ensure the taps stayed open to you. Pizza and beer the commerce of the working class.

Hopefully you will end up brewing beer for a living and making the big bucks.

Drinking for free is nice. I used to get that treatment at my local bar.

100$ a day 5 days a week for the next 3 weeks. Thats what i was told.Seems pretty fair. i mean its about 10$ an hour so as a job i couldn't do it but for a month of training i think its perfectly fair.Today they kept handing me drinks and samples, i might have had 5 beers.Fridays seem to be a bit more lax.

What you have right now is a paid internship. Your job for the next three weeks is to make them glad to have you. If you can work as if you own the brewery, i.e., you see and solve small problems before they become big ones, anticipate, create efficiencies in how you work, don't waste consumables, save money, and so on, then they will want you there long-term.

It's said that 80 percent of life is just showing up--and in your case, 80 percent of the job. Be early, don't squeeze the time at all. If the job starts at 6:30pm, be there at 6:25. If it ends at 4:30, make sure you work through the time you're allotted. They may tell you to relax a bit, but make them tell you that.

Good luck--I hope it all works out for you.

Like everyone else said that was solid advice not squeezing the clock. I am glad this is working out for you and they are paying you a manageable wage. Good Luck!!

So today i was told free bottles, grain, and hops.It sure as hell aint health insurance but its a great benefit for us home brewers and certainly generous. Obviously i wont abuse that, but i will certainly take advantage:)I for see a lot of small experimental beers.

There are worse things than $8 or $10 or $12 an hour..... yeah - that is a low hourly wage for sure. However, I have known breweries that put their people on "salary" in the $20,000-$30,000 range..... and then they end up working them 60-80 hours a week..... you don't want to start doing the math on $27,000 salaries and 80 hour weeks....

This won't fly anymore with the new overtime laws going into effect at the end of the year. Anyone with a salaried position making less than like 50k per year will no longer be exempt from overtime pay. Although, I think some industries are still able to get around it somehow. I'm in the IT field and a few of my colleagues fall under this new law.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/final2016/

Thats a cool perk i never heard anyone get before.

So today i was told free bottles, grain, and hops.It sure as hell aint health insurance but its a great benefit for us home brewers and certainly generous. Obviously i wont abuse that, but i will certainly take advantage:)I for see a lot of small experimental beers.

Free yeast is common even for non-employees (even after harvesting a bunch goes down the drain anyway). A beer ration is pretty standard fare too. But can't say I've heard of free grain/hops/bottles too often. Offered at cost perhaps (either when surplus or padding a shipment) but not free.

This won't fly anymore with the new overtime laws going into effect at the end of the year. Anyone with a salaried position making less than like 50k per year will no longer be exempt from overtime pay. Although, I think some industries are still able to get around it somehow. I'm in the IT field and a few of my colleagues fall under this new law.

Just make salaried positions as owners. Owners certainly don't get overtime. Then do part-time work with everyone else.

Yeah i didn't think bottles would be free so i asked him if can purchase them at cost.Thats when i was told i can have free bottles along with grain and hops.Super awesome. i didnt ask about a beer ration/ reduced prices yet.
The only stipulation for the bottle was bring in some home brews if i am happy with them.

I have been reading this thread and have to say I think you are doing the right thing since your heart seems to be driving you. I would consider it as a stepping stone to get to where you want to be... be that a pro brewer etc...

If you look at the other routes of education this is a bargain.

Yeah i didn't think bottles would be free so i asked him if can purchase them at cost.Thats when i was told i can have free bottles along with grain and hops.Super awesome. i didnt ask about a beer ration/ reduced prices yet.
The only stipulation for the bottle was bring in some home brews if i am happy with them.

So it's a "We'll give you free stuff to brew as long as you let us try it" mentality. That's pretty sweet if you ask me, I'm always looking someone to try my beer that will be honest with me, and I'm pretty sure you'll get that from them.

Again glad its all working out for you man, I'm sure many of us are jealous and wish we could do the same.

Timely thread for me as well. I wouldn't give up my 6-figure IT job to jump into brewing, but the job gave me up instead last week. My wife said this would be a good time to look at work I want to do, and maybe brewing is it. A friend-of-a-friend started a brewery nearby early last year and seems to be doing well, so I'll see if they need an apprentice. I know it'll be scut work, but that's all there is at the bottom.

I have emailed a couple of local breweries asking if they would be interested in free labor. I have tons of time off and figured it would at least be a good experience to help me decide whether or not I want to consider this professionally down the road. @alexnova, if your friend is interested in a hard worker, I am not asking to be payed and I will do whatever they need.

as a teacher, I know this is not going to apply us. I make less than 50k a year, and routinely put in 50-60 hours a week.

edit: after looking at the new law, a brewer with an apprentice, could consider himself a teacher, and the apprentice a student and be exempt from that law as well. At least that is how I read it.

as a teacher, I know this is not going to apply us. I make less than 50k a year, and routinely put in 50-60 hours a week.

edit: after looking at the new law, a brewer with an apprentice, could consider himself a teacher, and the apprentice a student and be exempt from that law as well. At least that is how I read it.

Teachers fall into one of those typically "protected" classes that have their own rules.

And there's a handful of litmus tests. Anyone trying to do that clearly is twisting the law and it would likely be overturned by the Dept of Labor. My old job tried to peg us under the "professional" class and make us overtime exempt until DOL overruled them. I'd see "professional" working in a brewery under the science/chemistry angle sooner than as a teacher. However anyone who's ever worked both brewing and skilled trade will quickly see that brewing work is skilled trade work.

nothing new yet. Its taken me this long to be able to start working without asking anyone what i should do.
I go in prep the keg racker/ let it CIP for 15 mins with saniclean while i get half barrels and sixels ready.I prep 30 (50L) kegs to be filled.
Take a zham reading from the brite tank, adjust the C02 if needed.If c02 if fine dump the trub. Then take two sample. one from the sample cock and one from the racking arm.If the two samples match im good to start racking. If not i dump a little more.
Scrub down racking arm. attach the product pump hose.Bleed the saniclean water out of the system and when i get to clean beer start filling kegs.
as kegs are filling i start to palletize the beer.
after all beer is kegged and palletized. i CIP the keg racker.I CIP the brite and start to bring up to pressure.
Weigh out grains for the next days brews.
general cleaning
go home, smoke/drink

nothing new yet. Its taken me this long to be able to start working without asking anyone what i should do.
I go in prep the keg racker/ let it CIP for 15 mins with saniclean while i get half barrels and sixels ready.I prep 30 (50L) kegs to be filled.
Take a zham reading from the brite tank, adjust the C02 if needed.If c02 if fine dump the trub. Then take two sample. one from the sample cock and one from the racking arm.If the two samples match im good to start racking. If not i dump a little more.
Scrub down racking arm. attach the product pump hose.Bleed the saniclean water out of the system and when i get to clean beer start filling kegs.
after all beer is kegged and palletized. i CIP the keg racker.I CIP the brite and start to bring up to pressure.
general cleaning
go home, smoke/drink

This looks great. You got some jargon out of your journey!
Cool beans, hope you are loving it.

general cleaning
go home, smoke/drink

Hell of a difference from a month ago haha. Good on you. My background is in micro but I know dick all about yeast comparatively. All I have going for me is aseptic skills in that regard.

hey guys i figured i would post in here.I got a raise a while back an extra dollar an hour so that was nice but i haven't been given much more responsibility since then.
I come in i prep keg washer and racking lines
i wash the outside 30 kegs.clean inside of 1/3 of them
Take a zahm reading on the beer im about to package. adjust c0@ if needed.
dump trub from bottom/ dum trub from racking arm.
take sample from sample cock/ racking arm. dump appropriate trube if needed
start racking kegs and cleaning kegs at the same time
palletize kegs going to union.bring kegs to tap room.
CIP brite tank, purge/ bring to pressure
weigh out grain for next day/load mill
CIP keg washer
prep lines for next day
sweep/ wash cups/ general crap
occasionally i will be asked to dry hop , weigh out dry hops, clean a yeast brink or do inventory but no "moving up" yet...
we are expanding within the next few month with an entirely new brew house an a few 40 barrel fermentors so i am pretty much banking on moving up a bit then.
on the plus side my love for sours and barrel aging along great success with homebrews has seemed to influenced these guys so now that seems to be a glimmer on the horizon.
anyway cheers guys.

Grod1 you are where I hope to be in 6 months or so. I "volunteer" for a local small brewer (runs a fairly successful taproom out of his house) and he works my tail end off. But I have learned ever so much more working there and the experience is great. Yesterday we started at 5:30am and got two 55gal batches done by 6pm. During the mash and boil, if there's nothing to clean, we get to sit and shoot the breeze, sample what's on tap, and watch the boss get super energized describing how he's building the brewstands for me and the other guy. We've done one collaborative recipe so far and are working on more. He's hoping to expand into a larger space within the next year and we've been told paying jobs are in our future. For now (since I do have a full-time job) I'm very happy doing what I'm doing.

Grod1 you are where I hope to be in 6 months or so. I "volunteer" for a local small brewer (runs a fairly successful taproom out of his house) and he works my tail end off. But I have learned ever so much more working there and the experience is great. Yesterday we started at 5:30am and got two 55gal batches done by 6pm. During the mash and boil, if there's nothing to clean, we get to sit and shoot the breeze, sample what's on tap, and watch the boss get super energized describing how he's building the brewstands for me and the other guy. We've done one collaborative recipe so far and are working on more. He's hoping to expand into a larger space within the next year and we've been told paying jobs are in our future. For now (since I do have a full-time job) I'm very happy doing what I'm doing.

I don't want to derail this as it's Grod's thread, but would you share any particularly interesting things you've learned working there?

thats my plan for a retirement gig for me in 7-8 years. i would like to get a part time job at a micro or brewpub. not really feasible at this point though.

good luck to you, keep up the hard work it sounds like a reasonable place to work. Keep up with the updates this is a fun thread to read and see your progress !

nice thread. Looking forward to future updates. A sushi apprentice cleans the kitchen for 5 years before they let him touch the rice. Another analogy, every quarterback gets hurt eventually and then the unknown back up plays his first game on the way to being a household name. In business, expansion creates similar opportunities as you have already foreseen. Keep up the good work as every day you master your tasks prepares your the next steps.

My father told me this when I was young. Money follows power, not the other way around. As someone already posted about pay raises- make yourself valuable.

Congrats on the moving up the ladder.

You've got a lot of toys I wish I had. Would love to have a Zahm meter (my boss would too), but we can't afford one (or at least can't justify it at this point in time).

Back