Germinating wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickCov

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has already been posted (I did try searching) but I was wondering if anyone does this themselves or know of a good process of doing it?

I've got some wheat on it's second steeping stage and most grains are now sprouting a tiny white shoot from one end but there are no roots showing as of yet. Is this ready to be dried?

Much appreciate any help

Thanks

I think wheat is similar to barley <my disclaimer:D

The tiny white "shoot" is the chit and it's actually the start of the roots, you need to let the roots grow, then the shoot (plant/leaf) will start eventually. When the shoot is appx. 3/4 to full length of the seed (May have to cut the seed to see this, don't think wheat has a hull though), it is ready to be dried (fully modified), the roots may be up to 3-5 times the length of the seed at that time.

You may be able to find more info in the gluten free brewing section (Maybe buckwheat is closer) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/adventures-gluten-free-malting-roasting-photo-story-243095/ or my malting thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/

Happy malting:mug:

Think I may have ruined my first batch of 'malted wheat'. Someone explained to me in another thread that when that Tiny White shoot reaches about 1/2 inch the grains are ready to dry. Now, the grains are in the oven as I speak but there is a strong starchy smell (like potatos) coming from the grains. Was this tiny White shoot actually a root as suggested in the previous post?

Well, it's hard to see through your eyes but, typically the roots grow before the acrospire (plant) does, in ANY plant I believe. It could be that when the root is 1/2" that the wheat is fully modified, so you may have some modification?

Also, what temperature are they in the oven? Sounds like you are cooking them.

If the tiny white shoots you are talking about are growing away from the seed, and are very thin and hairlike, those are the roots. The shoot you are looking for will grow along the back of the kernel, cling fairly tightly to the back, and be quite wide, probably cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the kernel. When that shoot reaches 3/4 to the tip of the kernel, they are ready.

The picture shows Triticale, but the idea is there.

09_day 3_triticale 3.jpg

Thanks lurker. So it's safe to say the grains I've got drying in the oven right now are useless?

I wouldn't say useless. I often put in a pound or so of unmalted grain into recipies. Also, if you are using a base malt that is well converted, it would have enough enzymes left over after mashing to work on non converted or lower converted wheat to get something out of it. Just use a longer mash, say 90 minutes.

Nice one, that's a big help. Only thing is, See, I read an article online about making diastatic wheat malt and that also said to stop steeping/airating when the White shoot got to about 1/8".

Nice one, that's a big help. Only thing is, See, I read an article online about making diastatic wheat malt and that also said to stop steeping/airating when the White shoot got to about 1/8".

That would be about right if the article is talking about the acrospire. I would think if the acrospire is 1/8" then the roots would be 1/2" or so, you see what we're getting at here?:mug:

Yeah that clears things up. Cheers. I thinking will stick to malting barley from now on and leave wheat to the experts. At least until I've got more experience that is.

COLObrewer said:
Well, it's hard to see through your eyes but, typically the roots grow before the acrospire (plant) does, in ANY plant I believe. It could be that when the root is 1/2" that the wheat is fully modified, so you may have some modification?

Also, what temperature are they in the oven? Sounds like you are cooking them.

I believe there is some modification. I've started a new batch and have decided to go with lurker's plan.

The oven was set to gas Mark 1/2. So about 110. I've read that as long as it's below 120 its all good?

Back