Germany Trip - Critique My Intinerary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletproof4age

Reaction score
So, my wife and I are going to Germany with another couple. He's German and knows Munich and the surrounding areas very well. We'll have an apt. that we are using as our home base in downtown Munich. Our tentative plan is listed below, but we are pretty flexible. Right now we are trying to decide between the trip to the Black Forest (Day 4-5.5) and a trip to northern Italy.

Provide any input/suggestions you can.

Day 1 (Friday)
Arrive in Munich
Go to Apartment
pick up supplies (ie Beer)
Mike's Bike Tours?
See Munich

Day 2 (Saturday)
Deutsches Museum
Beer Garden
Alte Pinakothek if weather is bad

Day 3 (Sunday)
BMW Museum (with factory tour?)
Other Munich sights

Day 4 (Monday)
Leave Munich to go west to Black Forest
buy Cookoo clock
Stay overnight in Triberg

Day 5 (Tuesday)
Head to Baden-Baden
go to naked spa
stay overnight

Day 6 (Wed)
Drive to Rothenburg
drive back to Munich via Romantic Road

Day 7 (Thursday)
Take train/or drive to Salzburg
Stay overnight in Salzburg

Day 8 (Fri)
Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest, Alps, Konigssee)

Dy 9-10 (Sat-Sun)
Neuschwanstein
Hang out in Munich

Day 11 (Mon)
fly back to USA

I know I won't be the only person to say this, but for all that time you're spending in Munich, you really should head up to Bamberg for a day. Just as a tease, you can read about my visit to Bamberg here.

On your way to Triberg, I would recommend stopping in Tübingen and enjoying a meal at the Neckarmüller (warning: that link plays loud, cheesy music in the background).

When going from Baden-Baden to Rothenburg, you may want to consider a slight detour to Leipzig. There you can experience a very rare treat, Leipziger Gose (you can also read about my Gose-drinking experience here).

Finally, while in Salzburg, be sure to visit the Biergarten at Augustiner. It's pretty awesome.

Have fun... your trip sounds like it'll be a blast!

Just found out that the Spring Festival "Frühlingsfest" will be going on the entire time we are there. Seems like the spring version of Oktoberfest.

I know I won't be the only person to say this, but for all that time you're spending in Munich, you really should head up to Bamberg for a day. Just as a tease, you can read about my visit to Bamberg here.

On your way to Triberg, I would recommend stopping in Tübingen and enjoying a meal at the Neckarmüller (warning: that link plays loud, cheesy music in the background).

When going from Baden-Baden to Rothenburg, you may want to consider a slight detour to Leipzig. There you can experience a very rare treat, Leipziger Gose (you can also read about my Gose-drinking experience here).

Finally, while in Salzburg, be sure to visit the Biergarten at Augustiner. It's pretty awesome.

Have fun... your trip sounds like it'll be a blast!
Thanks for the input. We are definitely going to Augustiner. I just hope the weather cooperates.

My buddy going with lived in Tübingen, so that was already discussed as a possibility.

Definitely going to check out the other things you mentioned.

Thanks.

Not sure if these would be included in your "Munich sights" category, but I thought that Asamkirche and Schloss Nyphenburg were pretty awesome to see.

Looks good. You will have plenty of time to do everything you want - you can see a lot of the Munich Sites (Frauenkirche, Neues Rathaus (town hall with Glockenspiel), Hofbrauhaus, all of the bier halls/gardens) in a day.

Glad to see you're going to Neuschwanstein - very cool place.

I always wanted to go to Berchtesgaden, looks beautiful and filled with tons of history.

Nice...Sounds like a great time. My friends and I are starting to plan a trip for next year (Oktoberfest 2011). My plan for that is the go from Munich to Koln to Dusseldorf, then into belgium, maybe amsterdam. So I'll be on here when the time comes with a similar thread.

My wife and I did Mikes Bikes and was pretty fun, I would recommended it highly. We also did a brewery tour that took us around the city, it meets below the clock around 5pm I think.

Our trip was Frankfurt to Staufen to Rothenburg to Munich. If you have the time do the guards watch tour in Rothenburg or skip it and go to Hell (its a bar).

Dont forget to stop at Augustiner.

Have fun!

Just looked it up and Leipzig is another 3.5 hours past Rothenburg. Not sure if we can fit it in.

Anyone been to Triberg? Right now we are planning on getting there around noon. Not sure if it's worth it to spend a couple hours there and move on, or stay there over night and get going to Baden Baden the next day.

+1

This place was a blast!!!

We drove all over and it was well worth it. Zurich-Fuessen-Salzburg-Berchtesgaden-Munich-Zurich and we stuck to our itinerary. We all agreed we needed more time in Salzburg to see more tourist stuff. We took the Sound of Music tour and if we did 1 more day we'd have seen the Mountains and Salt Mines. We found some Irish pub our first night in Salzburg and once it got filled up the place was rocking! The walk to the hotel was entertaining.

Everywhere we went we had a blast and we want to go back!

Sounds like your trip is going to be a GREAT TIME!!!

Just looked it up and Leipzig is another 3.5 hours past Rothenburg. Not sure if we can fit it in.

Oops... When I mapped out your trip Google Maps sent me to Rothenburg in Saxony, which is right on the border with Poland, as opposed to Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria. I didn't think it looked right, and now I know why.

I'm doing a Germany trip this year with pretty much no overlap.

Bamberg, Leipzig, Prague (okay, not in Germany but I'll never make a separate vacation to the Czech Republic) and then Dortmund mostly as a base for Koln and Dusseldorf.

I went on a trip 2-3 years ago to Germany, best trip I ever went on. I got engaged at the top of the neuschwanstein castle :)

Your itinerary looks really good. The only thing I would suggest, which I know its really far from Munich... but its totally worth it... is koln. That city was so great. But my favorite city in Germany was Munich. I could have stayed there the entire time at the beer gardens and been happy :)

I used to live in Augsburg, about 40 miles west of Minuch.

The Deutsches Museum is a technical museum. Unless you're into machinery, etc, it's a waste. You HAVE to go to the Hofbrauhaus and Marianplatz (at 10:50) to see the Glockenspiel show at 11. Other options are the Liebfraukirche, Englisher Garten, any of the breweries.

I also lived outside of Bamberg for 5 years. There's 9-10 breweries in town (depending on who you ask). I recommend the Schlenkerla near the river and Maisel's off of Berlinerring Strasse. If you go 11 miles south to Buttenheim there's the St Georgenbrauerei with (another) Lowenbrau brewery right next door. About 100 meters to the north of St.G's is the birthhouse of Levi Strauss (of blue jean fame). I lived across the autobahn in Altendorf.

Depending on who's driving and what time you get up to start your day, it is possible to see Neuschwanstein, Schloss Linderhof and Kloster Ettal before heading back to Munich. Go back down the mountain toward Garmisch, not north toward Augburg and head north back toward Munich and you can visit Kloster Andechs for some great tasting beer.

Viel spass!

I used to live in Augsburg, about 40 miles west of Minuch.

The Deutsches Museum is a technical museum. Unless you're into machinery, etc, it's a waste. You HAVE to go to the Hofbrauhaus and Marianplatz (at 10:50) to see the Glockenspiel show at 11. Other options are the Liebfraukirche, Englisher Garten, any of the breweries.

I also lived outside of Bamberg for 5 years. There's 9-10 breweries in town (depending on who you ask). I recommend the Schlenkerla near the river and Maisel's off of Berlinerring Strasse. If you go 11 miles south to Buttenheim there's the St Georgenbrauerei with (another) Lowenbrau brewery right next door. About 100 meters to the north of St.G's is the birthhouse of Levi Strauss (of blue jean fame). I lived across the autobahn in Altendorf.

Depending on who's driving and what time you get up to start your day, it is possible to see Neuschwanstein, Schloss Linderhof and Kloster Ettal before heading back to Munich. Go back down the mountain toward Garmisch, not north toward Augburg and head north back toward Munich and you can visit Kloster Andechs for some great tasting beer.

Viel spass!
Great idea apparently.
From my buddy who is coming with:
I just browsed your homebrew forum. The last guy had a brilliant suggestion. The day we go to Neuschwanstein, we head back to Munich a slightly different way, and visit Kloster Andechs. On the way we can also see the Wieskirche, which is a really beautiful church.

Keep them coming.

Great idea apparently.
From my buddy who is coming with:
I just browsed your homebrew forum. The last guy had a brilliant suggestion. The day we go to Neuschwanstein, we head back to Munich a slightly different way, and visit Kloster Andechs. On the way we can also see the Wieskirche, which is a really beautiful church.

Keep them coming.
I've been to Wieskirche a couple of time also.

There's a back road from Neuschwanstein to Linderhof and a few miles from there is Kloster Ettal, so it's doable. ;)

Sounds awesome to me. +1 for visiting Andechs. The church is incredible, the site is better, the cheese is incredible (you should definitely have some), and the beer is world class. You must try the dopplebock, it is as good as the hype.

I loved the Englisher garten but I was there in summer. The market in Petersplatz has an awesome little place for breakfast (weiswurst and weisbier with brezen) and it is a fun market to wander around in. Peterplatz is just south of Marienplatz.

You have a very interesting and ambitious itinerary planned. You will be seeing a lot of old (looking) buildings and cities. If you want to see some nature, I highly recommend the cable car to the top the Zugspitze. It's the tallest peak in Germany and there is an incredible view. A bit pricey though, about $120 US for 3 people. I'll never forget it and I saw a lot of Germany.

Deutches Museum is huge and interesting but can be boring. I'm an engineer and enjoyed it but the wife was bored out of her mind . Anyway, very hit and miss and is huge.

Andechs and Ettal are must see's. Linderhof is nicer than Neuschwanstein inside but lacks the view. Both are worth seeing but I liked Linderhof better. The Weisekirche is great and very near Ettal, so see them together. If you have to go to Rotenburg, see the middle ages museum, great torture racks.

I lived near Frankfurt for two years and saw just about everything on your list and it would be hard to cut it down at all. I am very envious, I was in Germany for the Christmas markets this past year and I am waiting to get another job in country. Good luck and enjoy.

You have a very interesting and ambitious itinerary planned. You will be seeing a lot of old (looking) buildings and cities. If you want to see some nature, I highly recommend the cable car to the top the Zugspitze. It's the tallest peak in Germany and there is an incredible view. A bit pricey though, about $120 US for 3 people. I'll never forget it and I saw a lot of Germany.

Deutches Museum is huge and interesting but can be boring. I'm an engineer and enjoyed it but the wife was bored out of her mind . Anyway, very hit and miss and is huge.

Andechs and Ettal are must see's. Linderhof is nicer than Neuschwanstein inside but lacks the view. Both are worth seeing but I liked Linderhof better. The Weisekirche is great and very near Ettal, so see them together. If you have to go to Rotenburg, see the middle ages museum, great torture racks.

I lived near Frankfurt for two years and saw just about everything on your list and it would be hard to cut it down at all. I am very envious, I was in Germany for the Christmas markets this past year and I am waiting to get another job in country. Good luck and enjoy.

Yeah, we are teetering on the Deutches Museum...It'll be a back-up if the weather is crappy, I think.

If you are going to Rothenburg, take the time to head a bit farther north and visit Wuerzburg. Great town, lots to see (Residenze, Marienhof) great people, nice downtown etc. One of my top 3 favorite German cities.

Yeah, we are teetering on the Deutches Museum...It'll be a back-up if the weather is crappy, I think.

You mentioned Salzburg, there is a brewery there that was great to tour, Stiegl. The beer is typical of the region, very good, and it's a great old building. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a brewery in that part of the world, so I'm just trying to recommend one in your plan.

Another natural sight near Salzburg is called the Eisholle, which is basically a big cave on top of the mountain with some spectacular views of the Alps. Again, lots of old things to see and see them all but this is really a one of a kind sight. Oh yeah, wear a jacket if you go, it's cold as hell in that cave.

I am so envious of you. Enjoy the trip!

Did a Germany trip a few years ago - Koblenz to Trier to Rothenberg to Munich to Leipzig to Berlin and back to Koblenz. Rothenberg is really cool; you should stay late when most of the tourists leave and go on the Night Watchman's tour with the remaining tourists (if he's still doing it). Totally different place when everyone is cleared out of town at night. +1 on Andechs. macht spass!

Back