German (or other languages!) origin beer-related words

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayEff

Reaction score
As a German new to home brewing, I did a lot of reading and watching videos to cram as much knowledge into my brain as possible before brewing my first extract kit - which is sitting in bottles as I type. Since my English is decent enough, I tapped into the much more vast English knowledge base on the internet on the topic. As I read and watched and listened and learned, I ran across a lot of words that seemed to originate in the German language, that were commonly used by international homebrewers. It was a lot of fun for me to discover this!

I'm hoping that you can tell me more such words, or any words that came from another language that are beer related, and preferably their meaning as well.

I'll start with the one that puzzled me the most: When I watched videos on all-grain brewing, I repeatedly ran into a word that sounded a little like "whorl-off". I understood what it meant: Reintroducing the first runnings after the mash into the grain bed to allow them to be re-filtered. But how would you spell such a word, I wondered? Until I learned its spelling: vorlauf. That's german! The V is actually pronounced like an F in some German words (Vogel = bird is an example), which really threw me off!

What other words that originate from foreign languages which are now commonly used in English (specifically beer related) do you know? :)

bier :)

as i grew up in belgium, i'd call that a dutch word, that the germans stole from us :)

J.

Does it? It's so different! I mean, even if you shorten it to Würze, which I'd say is reasonable, it still sounds different. Buuut... close enough to be believable.

I meant prost - is that used in english at all? Kanpai is the japanese equivalent afaik.

Back