German Heffe advise on balancing flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So my heffe came out with more pepper /clove than I like, How do I bring out more banana and bubblegum? Do I ferment cooler, warmer, pitch more, pitch less? Does anyone actually know, or is it just a crap shoot?

If you want more balance between the two, definitely ferment at lower temps...many beer experts in mags/podcasts, suggest fermenting mid 50's to low 60's. Fermenting in high 60's or even 70's will bring out clove, clove and more clove.

Have done that twice myself and the beer has a nice banana aroma with a a mild clove note in the flavor.

I made a hefe and fermented at my normal 67*... the only way I get banana/clove is if I invert the bottle before opening to mix the east back into the beer. I wish I had raised the temps a bit towards the end of fermentation to at least the lower 70s.

My first hefe I started at 64 and raised to 70 over 2 days, although it fluctuated more than I'd have liked. It was fairly bland, although balanced.

Second hefe is on tap right now. Started it at 60 and raised to 68 over 5 days. Also underpitched this time and did a decoction mash. Ended up with a more banana forward flavor, although there was still some clove. More flavor this time. Hops were more pronounced, although not overbearing or out of style.

Both times I used WLP300. (First one with a fresh vial/starter, second from frozen stock of the first about 3 months after purchase.)

The Hefe's I've brewed have used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Strain). I just pitch the single smack pack into the wort without a starter and ferment at 68F. Plenty of banana in both batches. They were well balanced.

Contrary to jdauria's experiences, I've found fermenting at a higher temperature and under pitching brings the banana esters with the Weihenstephan strain. Ramping the temp will not accomplish the same thing. It needs to start at a minimum of 67/68F.

I prefer wlp351/380 for the easily balanced strain. 3068 IMO and IME needs open fermentation in an square, 3068 struggles under normal fermentation pressure and since the esters and phenols are developed early in the fermentation process, and even earlier with the precursors developed in your mash, it really needs to be open fermented in the first 72 hours. But now I am repeating myself on multiple threads/forums... weird huh?

The Hefe's I've brewed have used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Strain). I just pitch the single smack pack into the wort without a starter and ferment at 68F. Plenty of banana in both batches. They were well balanced.

Contrary to jdauria's experiences, I've found fermenting at a higher temperature and under pitching brings the banana esters with the Weihenstephan strain. Ramping the temp will not accomplish the same thing. It needs to start at a minimum of 67/68F.

Plus 1 on this method! I treat mine exactly as described and I have a well balanced Hefe which is perfect in my opinion. I made several Hefes experimenting before I hit upon this same process as described! Winner!!

Wlp300, high temp (70-72 f), and a 60/40 wheat/2-row ratio has gotten me to what you are going for.

I don't know if it's coincidence, but the grain bill has also made an impact for me.

Wlp300, high temp (70-72 f), and a 60/40 wheat/2-row ratio has gotten me to what you are going for.

I don't know if it's coincidence, but the grain bill has also made an impact for me.

Absolutely. I hit my mark when I went to 65/35 wheat to two row ratio. Seems the additional wheat does the trick. I also added 4 ounces of Melanoidin which bumped the SRM slightly and added to the mouthfeel. 68F with a direct pitch from smack pack 3068 is my winner.

Latest posts

Back