German Beer on the Endangered List?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khiddy

Reaction score
Time Magazine has an article this week focusing on the effects of climate change on various products around the world. One of the "Top 10 Endangered Exports" is German Beer, due to water shortages in the former East Germany.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/p...1945317_1945308_1945298,00.html#ixzz0Z2IQ7hZu

The biggest point of concern here is the fact that in the article's accompanying picture, the Hofbrauhaus 1L Krugs are only half-full!

I'd be calling the Polizei if they tried serving me a short beer like those pictured. The measurement line is on the glass for a reason...it's the legal mark. Anything less is stealing.

As far as the article: The European Union recently funded a major $9 million irrigation system for hop farmers in Germany so this crop can survive the hot summers to come.

What's next? Central Air installed in German houses?

The Hallertau region is just south of the Danube, the Tettnager region is just north of Lake Constance (Bodensee)...there should be plenty of water for those.

Hallertau, Tettnang and Spalt are in Bayern so they were never a part of East Germany. That would leave us with Elbe-Saale and they only constitute 6.5% of the german hop harvest. So it must be the barley that is drying up...

novel idea...Screw the war...Lets send aid over to germany to get wells drilled everywhere and make sure they can make more beer than they want to drink.

Germans without beer or having to serve less is a crime.
Its not right, And even tho its 9am i will have a beer for um.

I'm almost positive WWII started because of a beer shortage in Germany..

Might need a fact checker for that, though.

That actually looks like a pretty standard pour to me.

There are several inches of space above the 1L mark on those things, so when the foam settles on those there will probably be MOST of a liter in there. Might be a little light, but not a flagrant crime. :D

I am more interested in the fact that this woman is carrying 12 liters of beer. Even give or take some that is still amazing. I need one of those for my parties.

Had a krug of the HB dunkel when we visited the Hofbräuhaus in '07. The measure line isn't all that close to the rim of those, and when the foam settles, I'll bet you're around a liter.

The world record is 20.

http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/stein-carrying-world-record.html

Edit: previous record was 16.. a woman named Anita Schwartz. She tried to break the 20 record by carrying 21, but failed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...n-fails-in-Beer-Mug-World-Record-attempt.html

they have a plaque on the wall with his picture . I have been to the Lowenbrau Keller Restaurant in Sydney nice place food was ok as was the beer I liked the RedOak brewery much more

one nice thing about Lowenbrau was all the employees were either German Swiss or Austrian . Australia has such a shortage of workers they import them

Had to add there is nothing that can compare to a blue eyed raven black haired girl with a German accent and an Australian sun tan ....Specially after a few steins..

As far as the article: The European Union recently funded a major $9 million irrigation system for hop farmers in Germany so this crop can survive the hot summers to come.

What's next? Central Air installed in German houses?

9 mil? thats a small price to pay for the good beer. Finally, tax money being put to good use.

Here's another failed attempt at breaking the record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-pyP436Us

Those sound like plastic steins, isn't that cheating?

Those sound like plastic steins, isn't that cheating?

When I originally found that I was at work and I watched it without sound. I assumed that those he dropped had all shattered.

BUT... now that I listen to it again with sound, you are absolutely right. Those are plastic steins than you can hear clunking around on the ground.

I doubt that would count towards the record, but who knows... maybe the record doesn't specify what material the stein has to be made of.

It's cheating in my eyes, for sure.

Back