German ale recipe using huell melon and bavarian hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrittne

Reaction score
Does anyone have a German ale recipes using Huell Melon and Bavarian munich hops? I have 3 ounces of each my daughter gave me and /i want to make a genuine German ale...or as close as feasible. THanks in advance!

It depends on what kind of beer you want to brew, but I can share a recipe I brewed this summer, using all German ingredients. I made a hybrid Kolsch of sorts as follows:

100% Weyermann Vienna malt
SafAle K-97
3.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria ( crop 2017 )
3.5 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh ( crop 2017 )

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
5.5% ABV
SRM: 6
25 IBUs

Mash temp. 149F for 60 minutes
Soft*ish water profile: 65 ppm Ca / 5 ppm Mg / 3 ppm Na / 55 ppm Cl / 80 ppm Sulfate / mash pH was around 5.4

I did not dry hop, but used half of the hops for late additions and half for a 20 minutes whirlpool at 158F. I bottled at 11 days with no cold crash or anything. It was already good at day 7 in the bottle.

The aroma was pleasent citrus, with hints of earthiness, spiciness, toasted malt ( Vienna ). Flavour followed with toasty notes, subtle citrus and spicy notes, with pleasent mellow bitterness, good mouthfeel. The ABV seemed way high for how easy was to drink. It was crisp and fairly dry tasting.

It depends on what kind of beer you want to brew, but I can share a recipe I brewed this summer, using all German ingredients. I made a hybrid Kolsch of sorts as follows:

100% Weyermann Vienna malt
SafAle K-97
3.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria ( crop 2017 )
3.5 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh ( crop 2017 )

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
5.5% ABV
SRM: 6
25 IBUs

Mash temp. 149F for 60 minutes
Soft*ish water profile: 65 ppm Ca / 5 ppm Mg / 3 ppm Na / 55 ppm Cl / 80 ppm Sulfate / mash pH was around 5.4

I did not dry hop, but used half of the hops for late additions and half for a 20 minutes whirlpool at 158F. I bottled at 11 days with no cold crash or anything. It was already good at day 7 in the bottle.

The aroma was pleasent citrus, with hints of earthiness, spiciness, toasted malt ( Vienna ). Flavour followed with toasty notes, subtle citrus and spicy notes, with pleasent mellow bitterness, good mouthfeel. The ABV seemed way high for how easy was to drink. It was crisp and fairly dry tasting.

Thank You Thehaze! This seems just like what im looking for. When did you add the hops? like for bittering? I plan to use half of my hops(huell melon and mandarin barvaria ) for bittering and the rest for dry hopping....What would you recommend for bittering and which for dry hopping? Also, is the boil time 60 minutes? Thank you again!

I boiled for 60 minutes and did not dry hop and still got lots of flavour. My hopping schedule was as follows:

10 gr Mandarina Bavaria 40 minutes
15 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh 15 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria 10 minutes
25 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh 5 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria 1 minutes
60 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh Whirlpool ( this was done at 70C/158F for 15-20 minutes )
40 gr Mandarina Bavaria Whirlpool ( this was done at 70C/158F for 15-20 minutes )

I woudl say add a bit at 60 minutes to get some IBUs, but if you want it elatively hoppy, save them for late additions, whirlpool and dry hopping.

I boiled for 60 minutes and did not dry hop and still got lots of flavour. My hopping schedule was as follows:

10 gr Mandarina Bavaria 40 minutes
15 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh 15 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria 10 minutes
25 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh 5 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria 1 minutes
60 gr Hallertau Mittelfruh Whirlpool ( this was done at 70C/158F for 15-20 minutes )
40 gr Mandarina Bavaria Whirlpool ( this was done at 70C/158F for 15-20 minutes )

I woudl say add a bit at 60 minutes to get some IBUs, but if you want it elatively hoppy, save them for late additions, whirlpool and dry hopping.

Perfect! I cant wait to get started on this recipe! Thank you again....Ill let you know how mine came out....

Perfect! I cant wait to get started on this recipe! Thank you again....Ill let you know how mine came out....

I just went to order ingredients and noticed there was no amount on the Weyermann Vienna malt. How much did you use? Im guessing about 10 to 11 pounds? also at what point did you whirlpool? and at what temperature? Thanks.

I use a Grainfather and I try to get as much beer in the fermenter as possible.

For this batch I used 13.2 lbs Vienna malt. I bottled exactly 6.2 gallons, so compared with the normal 5 gallons the Grainfather is made/used for, I try to get more, as it is easily possible. Mash efficiency was 82%, so pretty good.

Whirlpool comes after you finish the boil. 5 minutes before end of boil, I connect my counter flow chiller to sanitize it. Once I turn off the heat element, I begin to cool down the wort. Once it reaches my desired temp., usually around 158-162F, I drop my whirlpool hops. I create a vigorous ( I try to minimize the splashing ) whirlpool with my stainless steel paddle, which I maintain for 20-30 seconds. Then I take out the paddle and let the wort rest for 10 minutes. I come back to it, and then I repeat the whirlpool. I let it sit for another 10-20 minutes, I come back and at that point I begin to transfer to the fermenter. I use Protafloc, so there will be a very nice trub cake at the bottom, which results in pretty clean wort into teh fermenter. I never end up with more than 2 inches of trub in the fermenter.

I saw that grainfather! That is an awesome setup.seems to streamline the brewing day! Well according to your recipe i calculated 12 pounds for my 5.5 gallon batch!

Back