Georgia home brew beginner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Derick and I hail from southeast Georgia, where brews like Southern Tier do not exist and Terrapin and Dogfish Head are abundant.

I am new to brewing. Used a mr. Brew kit my very first time and decided it was time to step up. Just purchased a complete kit plus a Carboy from Midwest supplies and am going to first brew the Hop Head recipe kit from their as well. I chose to use a premium dry yeast for my first time as I have heard it is the best combination of reliability and ease of use when rehydrated properly.

So far I have read several books and watched several videos to prime myself for this venture. There are no associations within 100 miles where I love so I eventually would love to start a local brew community and become educated and help educate others on Good Beer and Brewing.

If anyone has any beginner tips or words of wisdom, please feel free to share them! Looking forward to frequent here often. Thanks all!

Derick!! Welcome to HBT and the home brewing addiction. There is a wealth of knowledge lock in the threads of this forum. You can literally search and find answers to all of your brewing questions.

If you can't find it......just ask.

A couple of tips....

1. The yeast know what to do
  2. Be patient
  3. Relax, don't worry, it will turn out fine
  4. Don't over think how to make beer. We all want that perfect batch but will settle for something drinkable.
  5. There are some great brewers here, listen to them.
  6. Keep reading
  7. Sanitization is very important. keep it sanitized, wash/spray/heat everything but don't freak out.
  8. Target numbers are targets. You don't have to hit the bulls-eye
  9. Listen to the archived podcasts from The Brewing Network Sunday Session and Brewstrong
  10. Kegging is easier than bottling
  11. There are some great videos on you tube of how to do stuff
  12. Buy 2 hydrometers
  13. At the very least, get the chlorine out of your brewing water

WortIfied said:
I'm about a hour south of Savannah and an hour north of Jacksonville Florida.

So what town would that be? I live in warner Robins and would be interested in helping start up a club

So what town would that be? I live in warner Robins and would be interested in helping start up a club

I live in Brunswick Georgia. The golden isles, St. Simons Island, that area. Technically I guess I live in Glynn county, but I'm sure you get the idea.

welcome, i am still working on getting started myself and i am at ft stewart so if you need anything just let me know and ill be happy to help.

welcome, i am still working on getting started myself and i am at ft stewart so if you need anything just let me know and ill be happy to help.

Loser.

JK, I just bottled my AG Pumpkin Beer, you need to come up and try it in about 3 weeks.

WortIfied said:
I live in Brunswick Georgia. The golden isles, St. Simons Island, that area. Technically I guess I live in Glynn county, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Haha. Between the paper fumes and the marsh no one will notice.

Thanks for all replies everyone. I was looking for a great outlet for my brewing questions and I think this is a great place. Not to mention the friendship and community I wish to "tap" into and hopefully one day be able to share my own knowledge and educate.

Haha. Between the paper fumes and the marsh no one will notice.

You hit the nail right on the head. Luckily I live far enough into glynn county I'm not affected by the paper mill, but I do get the Mosquitos from the marsh pretty harsh.

I did however find a group of individuals from St. Simons island looking for others to help open a gastro pub one day. I'm a long ways from something like that but maybe I can join the cause and learn along the way!

Well, it's getting close to Christmas time again. Each year it seems like Christmas sneaks up faster than it did the year before. Although the saying is usually true that "Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year", for many of us it is also the most costly.
As we all know, this can be an extremely stressful time. If you are one of those scraping by each month just to pay your bills, the added pressure to earn extra money for Christmas can be a little much to handle.
Making extra money is something a lot of us are worried about this time of year. With a combination of the economy, and job instability... you may be among the many searching for ways to make money this holiday season.

Also a Brunswick Brewer here. All grain brewer and keep it on tap. There is a home brew group out of Jax. Cask. Great club with lots of good meetings and competitions. Send me a PM and I'll get my info to you. Great to have another local brewer.

Kevin

I know this is an old thread, and I may have met a few of you, but we are a new homebrew store in Brunswick and have been open since June 2014. I hope to meet some of you I haven't met yet. Cheers!

Back