General question on a porter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjason6

Reaction score
So I'm drinking my first porter... It's made by Tommyknocker Brewery and it's their cocoa porter. It's not bad, but what I'm wondering is, is it supposed to be flat? I got the "pfft" when I cracked it open, but that's about it. Other than that, it's pretty good!

Some porters and stouts are very lightly carbonated or not carbonated at all and served off a carb/nitrogen mix or just nitrogen.

I read some reviews on your Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter on Beer Advocate, and lots of people comment on the lack of carbonation and bad head retention, so this one may just be lightly carbed.

The lipids/fats in real cocoa is notorious for killing head retention, so that could be it as well.

I keep the carb lower on my porters, honestly I like drinking it strait out of the fermenter warm. The taste sample from the fermenter and the last glass of the keg are always the best.

I tend to like mine carbed, but certainly not chilled when it comes to porter....The cocoa and roastiness just disappears when it's cold.

Back