Gelled beer...stuck keg...help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonWB

Reaction score
So I brewed Vinny’s Pliny the Elder clone that I’ve made several times, but this time had another ale in fermentation at the same time and decided to clarify both with gel which I’ve done with countless beers. The other ale I did at the same time went fine. However, the Pliny clone clogged up the dip tube/post in the secondary keg and wouldn’t come out when pumping to a serving keg. I tried swapping the gas and blowing back into the dip tube side to clear it, but every time it would get stuck again immediately. I went old school and used a cane to rack it to the serving keg which I didn’t like but figured if I could get enough of the gel out it would be ok. Well, now I’ve got the serving keg in the kegerator with the same situation. Gas goes in, nothing comes out. Suggestions???

Just a thought.. but maybe if you swap the the out tube and post when it clogs you will be able to remove the clog without having to transfer to a different keg.. or just clean it when it’s apart

It’s not a problem I’ve ever had but maybe it would work

I don’t necessarily recommend this, but...

Take the poppet out of the keg and disconnect. Just remember to depressurize the keg before removing the disconnect.

I’ve done this a couple times when hops have clogged the tube/poppets, but ended up spraying beer all over the place. Cause it’s easy to forget.

If you transfer to another keg, use a fine mesh nylon bag to capture any floaties.

I don’t necessarily recommend this, but...

Take the poppet out of the keg and disconnect. Just remember to depressurize the keg before removing the disconnect.

I’ve done this a couple times when hops have clogged the tube/poppets, but ended up spraying beer all over the place. Cause it’s easy to forget.

If you transfer to another keg, use a fine mesh nylon bag to capture any floaties.

Interesting idea. I’m going to try to remove the post and clean it again. If that doesn’t work I may go this route. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back