Gelatin not dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PackBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a color gradient like this before? I added gelatin 3 days ago after cold crashing the carboy to about 38F. I prepared the gelatin by adding 1/2 tsp of gelatin to a 1/4 cup of water and heated in the microwave until 150F. Then added directly to the carboy. A clear visible separation was present the next day but the past two days it has not dropped any further. When I've used gelatin previously, it dropped very quickly. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks!

**Edit: I was also planning on taking this to a party this coming Saturday so I would ideally like to get this in the keg as soon as possible. Any way to speed this process up?

beercolor.jpg

The beer is at 38? Add more gelatin!

What brand gelatin? Not that it matters. I am just curious. I just fined a BDSA that is on the lighter side and it took quite a while to do anything.

Yes its around 37-38F currently in my kegerator and I used unflavored Knox gelatin. So you think adding more gelatin would help speed it up?

So I added more gelatin as suggested last night and after adding it, it kinda mixed everything up and color separation disappeared. I just checked the carboy and it's back to the same color seperation at the same spot. And now, it appears some jelly like stuff is floating around towards the top. What is going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

Back