Gelatin and Carbonation Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be using gelatin for the first time, and kegging for the first time using a carbonation lid like the one filmed here. So far my beer has been kegged and sitting at 40F under 5PSI for 24 hours or so.

Should I add the gelatin mixture and carbonate with the lid at the same time or wait another 24 hours to dump what's on the bottom and then keg?

Also, if anyone out there has used one of these carbonation lids and has any tips/advice I would appreciate it. Considering the set it and forget it method instead but figured I might as well use it since I have it.

I’d carbonate the beer first then, while swapping to a normal keg lid, add gelatin.

The carbonation lid I had came with instructions for use. Basically, you start at about 4psi then increase it by 2psi every hour until you hit your target. Then hold for 24 hours. Test and see if it needs more time.

I ended up cutting the tubing down for the one I had since it wouldn't work with my 3 gallon kegs. Hell, it was long even for a 5 gallon keg.

As for gelatin, never used it. I carbonate in conical now, then let it settle for a day (or so) before packaging (transfer some to keg, can the rest).

I’d carbonate first, because, if you’re using the carb lid probably, with a sintered ’stone’ low in the keg, rising CO2 works against gravity and the gelatin effect. I don’t use them anymore, but carb lids work very well, if used correctly.

I opted out of using the carbonation lid. Just put the gelatin in and pressurized to 30PSI. I'll check it tomorrow or the day after and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back