Geezerfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Local Home Brew Club is having an event called Geezerfest.

Everybody has to to bring a sixer of Grandpa Beer. The older and more obscure it is, the better the prizes.

We also plan to watch a DVD with 60 minutes of 1960's & 70's beer commercials. One caveat is that you have to drink during your commercial, then sing the jingle.

This will be a drunken blast. :D

Do any of you have a source for geezer-like beer? It has to be an American beer though.

I'm located in Des Moines Iowa but will be in Chicago at Thanksgiving. - I'm guessing mail order isn't legal.

Thanks!!!

Old Style and PBR are really good.

Colt 45. Schlitz. Hamms. Does Miller High Life count?

Hamms actually won gold at GABF 2007...

I'm gonna have to hit the local package store in North Riverside or Brookfield when I head to Chi-town.

I'll be looking for Hamms or Schlitz. Maybe some OLD STYLE :D

Too bad Olympia's not around anymore. If you were in the PNW I'd say Rainier, they had great ads! Sadly they're no longer around either. Is Hamm's even still available?

Ick - Old Style is BRUTAL. Get some PBR. That's an old timer beer and it's actually pretty tasty.

Well, I'm in Chi-Town and I found these geezer beers.

• Old Milwaukee
  • Old Style
  • Pabst Blue Ribbon
  • Strohs
  • Special Export by Heilemans (Makers of Old Style)

Prolly the best choice for drinkability here I'm guessing is PBR. Although its widely still available in Iowa or the midwest.

Best Choice for obscurity is the Special Export (SE), next after that is Strohs.

I've drank SE in high school (80-84) and it was OK. We got drunk off of it w/o having to choke it down.

All were 30 packs though. Not sure if I want that kind of investment here for this competetion.

What ya think?

I wonder if anyone can even find Pfeiffer anymore. Definitely fits the category. I remember seeing 6ers going for $1.50 back in the 80's. (That and Red White and Blue) They both always gave me BRUTAL headaches fwiw.

Ize

homebrewer_99 said:
Almost every one of the obscure beers mentioned are owned by PBR. Go to their site for info...;)

Holy Crap!!! Your right! They have all of the ones I found and then some. Cool!!! Thanks!!!

If you want some Shlitz, I know they sell it by the can at Shubas. Its at the corner of Belmont and Southport if your going to be anywhere near Lakeview on the north side.

Latest posts

Back