Gave in to the hysteria......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
Gave in to the psychosis. Fifteen pounds of malted barley, five pounds of malted wheat. Got to have your priorities right. I heard some places have closed liquor stores, that means beer on the shelf will go fast especially after people have been home a week with the WHOLE family with no end in sight. With two-and-a-half gallon batches this should last a while.

20200319_165439.jpg

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:
Gave in to the psychosis. Fifteen pounds of malted barley, five pounds of malted wheat. Got to have your priorities right. I heard some places have closed liquor stores, that means beer on the shelf will go fast especially after people have been home a week with the WHOLE family with no end in sight. With two-and-a-half gallon batches this should last a while.

Yes, it sure should. I'd give it about a week.

Yeah, that would last 1 brew day for me. I may have a few pounds more laying around here.

I had to laugh when I read this. I was down in my brew room last night taking a second inventory check and found that I have a little over 600 lbs. of grain and literally a freezer full of hops and still thought: is this enough? It is funny how everyone looks at things differently. I look at myself as kind of a "doomsday prepper brewer"

I bought a sack of pilsner and a sack of Maris Otter a few weeks ago before this all went down. My "giving in" was going to be getting another of each this week... Beer is good shelf stable sustenance after all! Just add in some canned fruit, veg, and meat and you're good to go!

I have a half sack each of wheat and 2 Row. Given that I'm down to maybe 1 or 2 beers every 4 - 5 days, I expect it to last a long time. I don't overdo it at the best of times, but it's not worth the risk of lowering the immune system right now.

I have a half sack each of wheat and 2 Row. Given that I'm down to maybe 1 or 2 beers every 4 - 5 days, I expect it to last a long time. I don't overdo it at the best of times, but it's not worth the risk of lowering the immune system right now.

I'm one, 355ml, a day, unless the wife is out late, then maybe two.

All the Best,
D. White

I brewed up 15 Gallons last weekend, 10 gallons for myself and 5 gallons for a buddy. I've got a bunch of supplies on hand to brew at least 8-10 more batches. Should be good for a while!

I've got around 35lb of Viking Pale 2-Row (another 80lbs on the way), 25lb of Viking Pilsner, and then various adjuncts/crystal malts. 35lbs of various hops in the freezer. A big stash of Omega Hornindal slurry, an Omega Voss packet I need to build up to store some slurry, some various Lallemand dry yeasts, and 6 packs of US-05 getting delivered today.

Bought a sack of two row and enough adjuncts to go with it

2.5G was my regular brew volume for most of 2019. 20lbs of grain probably lasted me a good 3-4 months. My batch size has increased to in between 3 and 4 gallons depending which fermenter is open now. I'm a little curious how long my 55lb bag of 2 row will last. I'm thinking the rest of the year for sure, but I'd love to stretch it a whole year until next St Pattys day. I know I'll get bored using it at some point and need to switch in some pilsner type brews.

I heard some places have closed liquor stores, that means beer on the shelf will go fast especially after people have been home a week with the WHOLE family with no end in sight.

In Denver the mayor gave a shelter in place order Monday afternoon to go into effect at 5pm Tuesday. During the press conference somebody asked if liquor stores would have to close. He said yes. People packed the stores. Within an hour they amended the order to allow them to remain open.

I've got 80lbs of grain between 2-row and pilsner, a crap-ton of hops (just received 2 more pounds last week) and enough yeast to last for months if I'm careful. The only thing I might run out of is propane; the first week of this madness EVERYBODY was out, it seemed. My 12g pot just fits on my kitchen stove (natural gas) so I have that option if it comes down to it. I don't have much in the way of adjunct grain, just some home-roasted crystal, so dark beers are out, but that's a small price to pay for having enough inventory to brew several batches.

I exchanged my propane tanks earlier this week. Luckily for me, the guy I get my co2 from also does propane tank exchanges. I usually hit Tractor Supply to refill them vs exchanging (much cheaper), but why take the chance? Hardly no people at this place and I'm helping a local business.

My 40lbs of 2row came in too. Unpacked the box outside, wiped down my hands and contents with Clorox wipes. Threw box away the next day. I should be good on beer for a little while.

I'll be glad when all this **** is over with. Stay safe out there.

I happened to buy about 70 pound of grain before closures because I had some events to brew for, those have been postponed so I have ingredients and time.

There were a couple of news stories late last night portending of possibly broader shut-down orders here - basically a narrowing of "essential". Gave me additional pause to consider the next many months of brewing and whether I could cover the ingredients needed.

We finally got a nice day here after a long cold soggy week, so I took the opportunity to take a roaming drive even further out into nowhere to the most local lhbs to me these days to fill some specialty and adjunct holes in my grain stash. Came to 30 pounds plus a couple of pounds of rice hulls.

Nice lady at the shop was also wondering how long they'd be able to remain open so I'm thinking it was worth the ride...

Cheers!

In Massachusetts, homebrew stores are considered essential - they are food stores (they sell grain and other food products).
So my LHBS is still open, but with protective measures in place.
But even before all this started, 200+ lb of grain and 5 or 6 lb of hops. I think I'm good to go for most of the year.

So, it's pretty clear, thou who dies with the most grain wins!

no, no, NO!

The most *spent* grain . . .

In During the press conference somebody asked if liquor stores would have to close. He said yes. People packed the stores. Within an hour they amended the order to allow them to remain open.

Two Saturdays ago, we stocked up. The next afternoon, the big liquor store chain herea nnounced they were closing for the duration (big as in costs less than Walmart and Costco due to larger purchasing power!)--they closed about two hours after the announcement.

Another competing mega-liquor store got its business license revoked when it refused to close . . .

I still have about three cases . . . I'll brew for the first time in year on Sunday . . .

Back