Gas-in post DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcurling

Reaction score
The gas-in posts on my cornies have roughly 5cm dip tubes into the keg. I fill my kegs up to just below the bottom of these so I don't get beer sucked back into the lines. Is there any reason why I can't saw these dip tubes off flush with the post so I can fit an extra litre or two of beer in each keg? Does anybody here do this?

Yeah I think I've seen people say they do this on here. I am usually short of 5 gallons when going to corney. If I am over, I will rack to a few bombers and add carb tabs. But I might just have to do this in order to avoid the hassle or losing beer.

I haven't shortened any dip tubes, but as far as I can tell, the only reason there even is a dip tube on the gas side is to hold the o-ring so the post gets a good seal.
My gas tubes are all only about 1" (2.5cm), though, anyway.
I'd say trim away!

I haven't shortened any dip tubes, but as far as I can tell, the only reason there even is a dip tube on the gas side is to hold the o-ring so the post gets a good seal.

I agree with this. They don't do much besides hold the o-ring. I have never found them to be a problem but if they are longer cut them down.

Back