"Gas in" as "Liquid out"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a few different searches, but didn't come up with anything...

Let's assume a few things:

1) I'm ready to rack some beer into some kegs.
2) The "liquid out" posts I just bought (online) don't fit the threads on the keg... but the "gas in" posts do fit.
3) I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to an LHBS, ACE Hardware, Lowes, or anything that's not a tiny WalMart.

Based on these assumptions...

Is it possible to use a "gas in" disconnect on my "liquid out" post? Why/why not?

I know this is my fault.. I should have checked all this before the day I wanted to keg up my beer, but sh*t happens.

If I understand you correctly, basically you will have 2 liquid posts on the same keg? Yes, you can do that. Just be sure you don't mix up the fittings when you connect the gas and liquid lines, you definitely don't want beer squirting into tour regulator.

I did a few different searches, but didn't come up with anything...

Let's assume a few things:

1) I'm ready to rack some beer into some kegs.
2) The "liquid out" posts I just bought (online) don't fit the threads on the keg... but the "gas in" posts do fit.
3) I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to an LHBS, ACE Hardware, Lowes, or anything that's not a tiny WalMart.

Based on these assumptions...

Is it possible to use a "gas in" disconnect on my "liquid out" post? Why/why not?

I know this is my fault.. I should have checked all this before the day I wanted to keg up my beer, but sh*t happens.

I'm no expert, but I'm kinda thinking, "a piece of metal is just a piece of metal".

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say go for it. Obviously, pull the dip tube out of the old beer out line and just put it through the gas in line.

That being said, if it were me.....I would test this system with starsan or water in the keg first.

Cheers and good luck.

If I understand you correctly, basically you will have 2 liquid posts on the same keg? Yes, you can do that. Just be sure you don't mix up the fittings when you connect the gas and liquid lines, you definitely don't want beer squirting into tour regulator.

Actually, I would have two gas posts... "gas in" on one of them, "liquid out" on the other..

I think vinylrooster has the right idea: test it. Duh.

Sometimes (more often than not), I'm prone to panic.

The posts are slightly different sizes. Most of us have accidentally hooked up the wrong QD at some point, it takes some muscle to get it off. They are not interchangeable.

just use 2 gas(Gray) disconnects and you should be good until you can get the right liquid posts.. mine are the same thread! The ones they sent you were different threads for the liquid and gas?

The posts are slightly different sizes. Most of us have accidentally hooked up the wrong QD at some point, it takes some muscle to get it off. They are not interchangeable.

Interesting, because my ball lock kegs have the same threads on both the "in" and "out" holes. I can only speak for the 3 ball locks I have though.

The threads are the same, it's the shape of the outside of the post. The quick disconnect is different depending on the post.

So, you can use two gas in posts, as long as you have two gas disconnects.

Alternatively, you could just put the post on there while you wait for the proper one to come in.

The threads are the same, it's the shape of the outside of the post. The quick disconnect is different depending on the post.

Alternatively, you could just put the post on there while you wait for the proper one to come in.

Yup, that's what I meant. Sorry I didn't clarify.

You can put the gas in posts on both sides for now and set the CO2 pressure to start carbonating.
Order the correct parts.
When you have the right parts simply vent the keg to relieve pressure, remove the extra gas fitting and replace it with a beer fitting.
It won't cause a problem to vent pressure for the few minutes it will take to change over at that time.

Yeah, I wasn't going to force the black "liquid out" disconnect to a gas post.

just use 2 gas(Gray) disconnects and you should be good until you can get the right liquid posts.. mine are the same thread! The ones they sent you were different threads for the liquid and gas?

Yeah, unfortunately... the "liquid out" posts that I received have a larger thread diameter... already in contact with the supplier.

Interesting, because my ball lock kegs have the same threads on both the "in" and "out" holes. I can only speak for the 3 ball locks I have though.

These are Firestone kegs that I'm in the process of converting to ball-locks. And the threads on the keg are the same diameter... the posts I received in the mail were the incorrect size.

However, I took your advice to just hook it up with two gas posts and two gray disconnects with some starsan. Worked like a charm, AND I found a leak in the process. So I owe you a beer.

The threads on the keg are the same... the threads on the "liquid out" post are not the right size. Again... already contacted the supplier.

You can put the gas in posts on both sides for now and set the CO2 pressure to start carbonating.
Order the correct parts.
When you have the right parts simply vent the keg to relieve pressure, remove the extra gas fitting and replace it with a beer fitting.
It won't cause a problem to vent pressure for the few minutes it will take to change over at that time.

That's the plan... beer is kegged and sitting on pressure.

Back