Gas control/pilot light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
Hi all, I am wrapping up my gas fired HERMS build and I am at the last obstacle before firing this bad boy up! I need some help though...

Last night when I went to light the pilot on my Honeywell VR8200 A2132, I got nothing. I have changed out the spring to the red one and followed the mnfg. support docs on the proper procedure to lighting the pilot.

My gas system: lp tank > 30 psi regulator (i am thinking this may be the issue at this point) > black pipe into Honeywell > main line goes into LPG orifice (https://www.brewershardware.com/Valve-and-LPG-Orifice-for-BURN10.html) and the pilot system is the one from Honeywell with thermocouple. Does anyone have any advice as to why I am not getting a gas flow for the pilot? Is the regulator locking the valve up somehow?

Pretty sure the input pressure is way too high for that valve to operate.
It's expecting 7" WC - which is under a half psi. I've read that the solenoid will hum but the slug won't move because of that high an input pressure.

'Course there could be other issues as well, but you're definitely going to have to come up with a high volume/low pressure regulator. Look for a dual-stage model, folks seem to have the best luck with those...

Cheers!

That is a low pressure propane valve designed to run at 11" water column. Good chance you may have damaged the valve if you put 30 PSI to it. Is your burner a low pressure burner? Start with a low pressure propane regulator. Get a regulator that can supply more BTUs then your burner is rated for on low pressure. Keep your lines as short as possible after regulator. Check for leaks at all connections and proper valve operation with soapy water before igniting your burner as the valve is questionable at this point. Also make sure your pilot is jetted for low pressure propane. Your burner and pilot should burn nice and blue if jetted properly and air adjusted. Yellow flame is a sign of incomplete combustion and indicates high levels of carbon monoxide.

Back