Gas Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickytim

Reaction score
Hello All,
At my home I just converted to LP gas. I also ran a gas line where I can hook up my gas grill and use the gas burner for my boil kettle. I got the gas burner adapted and hooked up to the gas line. I was using it for my last brew and noticed the flame on the burner is not as intense as it was when hooked up to the LP cylinder. After some research I believe the burner I have is a high pressure burner. It was previously used for a turkey fryer. And now that I only have 11" WC it does not have adequate gas flow. I am wondering if instead of purchasing a new low pressure burner if I could drill out the orifice and in return get a more intense flame. Just wondering if any one else did this and what size drill bit they used.
Any input would be great.

When I switched from propane to natural gas (7" WC), I had to buy orifices that were designed for natural gas use with my burner. You may have the same option if you look around. If not, slowly start boring out the orifice you have achieved the gas flow you want.

Similar to RiverCityBrewer, my "dual mode" burner's house gas kit came with a wider-bore orifice which I had to replace the stock orifice with.

Probably you can find the part on some homebrew store, which should at least give you an idea of the correct inner diameter, even if you're still planning on DIY'ing it. Although I wouldn't think the part would be much more expensive than the drill bit...?

Back