Gas Ball valves or Needle valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevbrew

Reaction score
Hello,

I am building a gas manifold for my single tier system. Currently it consists of 1/2" black pipe to gas ball valve to 1/4" ID LP gas flex line to the burners.

Will the regular gas ball valve work ok in this situation or is a needle valve just a better investment all in all?

Second, are the blichmann needle valves the same for both LP and natural gas? It's just the orifice that changes between the two?

Thanks

Kevin

Here's my new rig under fire for the first time. Needle valves would allow better control, but I need to order them and I couldn't resist theses ball valves at Lowes for about $5 a piece.

image.jpg

Ball valves work fine for lots of people but I switched mine out for needle valves. I just didn't like the lack of control ball valves gave me in my system. With the needle valves I can get turkey fryer burners down to a trickle.

Homebrewstuff.com is a LHBS for me so I picked up these ones there: http://www.homebrewstuff.com/propane-shut-off-valve-1-4-npt.html

I don't believe it matters if you're running LP or natural gas but don't quote me on that... ;-)

I use both. On/off control and fine adjustments from both valves. I couldn't control my temps accurately enough with just the ball.

Back