Garage keezer + humidity = sweaty collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
Today is the first day since I built my keezer that it's been hot and humid, and I noticed that the collar is sweating (ie. wet on the outside), as well as the taps. Is this normal? I live in Texas and it gets really hot and humid. I put a few coats of Spar Urethane on, which is supposed to help protect against moisture, but not sure if this is an insulation issue, or just normal on muggy days. Your input is appreciated..

Today is the first day since I built my keezer that it's been hot and humid, and I noticed that the collar is sweating (ie. wet on the outside), as well as the taps. Is this normal? I live in Texas and it gets really hot and humid. I put a few coats of Spar Urethane on, which is supposed to help protect against moisture, but not sure if this is an insulation issue, or just normal on muggy days. Your input is appreciated..

How thick is the collar? I used 2 x 6 boards and they insulate fairly well. They do not sweat on the outside even on the most humid days. I measured the collar temperature on the outside and it's only about four degrees below room temperature. Not enough of a difference to cause condensation problems.

I'd put some insulation on the inside anyway. Unless you are intentionaly air cooling the tower I'd block it off and insulate the lines with this stuff:
43423_300.jpg

Just my opinion but if you don't mind the sweating then its all good as it is...

:)

Although I live in a dry climate, this is one of the reasons I used PVC 2x6 (intended to be fence rails) to make my collar. It's a good insulator, plus it is hollow, so I was able to insert strips of extruded polystyrene insulation inside to make it even more insulating.

Although I live in a dry climate, this is one of the reasons I used PVC 2x6 (intended to be fence rails) to make my collar. It's a good insulator, plus it is hollow, so I was able to insert strips of extruded polystyrene insulation inside to make it even more insulating.

I must remember that if I ever build a keezer...

I used PVC 2x6 (intended to be fence rails) to make my collar. It's a good insulator, plus it is hollow, so I was able to insert strips of extruded polystyrene insulation inside to make it even more insulating.

Can we get a pic? Wondering how your corners came together. 45's ???

-OCD

Can we get a pic? Wondering how your corners came together. 45's ???

-OCD

Sorry, I don't have any pics right now, and can't take any for a little while. It isn't an original idea, though... I found a web site that outlined the procedure:

PVC Collar Chest Freezer Kegerator Conversion

I did it a little differently that he did, using Simpson Strong-Tie 90-degree brackets in the corners with screws intended for use with vinyl fencing. I used extruded polystyrene for insulation, and white silicone caulk to attach the collar (and make up for my so-so mitering job on the corners). The other nice thing was that I ran the wiring for my Love controller inside the fencing, meaning that I have no exposed wires. I mounted an electric outlet on the back of the unit, and split it so that one outlet is controlled while the other is always hot.

Back