Gambrinus Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steady-Hopper

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with them? I used up about 55lbs of their Pale Malt and found it rather nice. Recently I also picked up some of their Munich. I'd be interested in hearing some tasted notes on any Gambrinus malt products.

I don't know that I can supply tasting notes of the Gambrinus products but I have been brewing with their malts for years. They are located about an hour away. Out of everything I've brewed from them the only malt that I didn't really dig was the ESB malt. That said, the issue could have been on my end. Otherwise, I find gambrinus to be quality product.

The great pricing through Hop Dawgs right now for 55 lb sacks means there is a pile of malt kicking around my basement.

I don't know that I can supply tasting notes of the Gambrinus products but I have been brewing with their malts for years. They are located about an hour away. Out of everything I've brewed from them the only malt that I didn't really dig was the ESB malt. That said, the issue could have been on my end. Otherwise, I find gambrinus to be quality product.

The great pricing through Hop Dawgs right now for 55 lb sacks means there is a pile of malt kicking around my basement.

I've heard the ESB malt is almost the exact same as the regular Pale; would you claim this to be true? I almost bought the ESB...

I found the ESB malt to be much more full bodied, darker, and maltier, if that makes sense. I'd consider it more of a Marris Otter alternative than a 2 row pale alternative. The issue I had with it was purely physical for me. I found the beers I brewed were more "filling" than I was used to. Literally I could not drink those beers at dinner or in multiples because I felt like I'd consumed a meal. This happened with two different recipes. I'll try it again I'm sure, though.

Otherwise I had no complaints about its flavour, performance, etc. Who knows, maybe the difference between the 2 row and the ESB is purely the malting process. There is definitely a difference though. I'll take a look at the Gambrinus spec sheets later and see what the specifics are.

Back