Galaxy Pale Wheat Ale Went Bitter @ Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a wheat/pale ale that I wanted to really spotlight Galaxy hops. Things all went pretty well and was tasting awesome and smelling heavenly through fermentation, dry hop, and cold crash. I put it on CO2 and as my carbonation started to build, the sweet smooth flavor with nice fruity hops started to get a bit edgy. I figured I'd let it fully develop carbonation and see how it came around. I found as it became fully carbonated it had a very harsh bitter bite.

If I hadn't tasted it just before carbonation, I would think I needed to cut my bittering hops in half, or swap them over to FWH to kill the edge or something. Not sure if I should stick with that plan for next batch, or if anyone out there has come across this phenomena with either the Galaxy hops or the Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast.

Here are the high level details of the recipe. I've got tedious notes of everything so if there's anything additional you think I need to add to help provide more background, let me know.

Making a 2.5 gallon batch into the fermenter:
- 3 lbs 2-row
- 1 lb Flaked wheat
- 0.75 lb White wheat
- 0.5 lb 20L Caramel (added at vourlaf)
- 0.5 lb rice hulls (avoiding stuck mash with the wheat)
- 0.25 oz. Cascade @ 60 minutes
- 0.4 oz. Galaxy @ 15 min
- 0.5 oz. Galaxy @ 5 min
- 1 oz. Galaxy @ 0 min
- 1 oz. Galaxy dry hop for 3 days
- Wyeast 1968 London ESB

I'm drinking a brew right now that I used Galaxy. I could not see it being the hops, with that said it could be the level of carbonation. But if you think it's over hop bitterness you should give mash hopping your first addition. Used if for the first time two batches ago, great flavor smooth bitterness. I think your receipt looks good might try it for myself next single hop pale

What's the IBU goal? Why use Cascade as bittering hops? If we're talking 15-25 IBU I probably wouldn't even go for a bittering hop at 60 - just targettin the IBU's using the Galaxy at the end of the boil.

Just my 2 pence :)

Folke

What's the IBU goal? Why use Cascade as bittering hops? If we're talking 15-25 IBU I probably wouldn't even go for a bittering hop at 60 - just targettin the IBU's using the Galaxy at the end of the boil.

Just my 2 pence :)

Folke

Target IBU was 42, aiming for something hoppy, but not as much as an IPA, really just trying to get a lot of that Galaxy hop sweetness. I went with the Cascade for bittering thinking it would be a nice clean bittering hop and I really wasn't sure how Galaxy would do for bittering. The bittering addition was adding about 25% of total IBU which is a rule of thumb I've developed as a max for my hoppy beers.

I think next time around I'll either switch to using Galaxy for the bittering as well, or swap over the Cascade to FWH. I found the FWH effect to be interesting. It loses that hop bite that seems strangely absent in the beer that I did FWH, but I think with this fruity Galaxy brew maybe that would be OK.

Target IBU was 42, aiming for something hoppy, but not as much as an IPA, really just trying to get a lot of that Galaxy hop sweetness. I went with the Cascade for bittering thinking it would be a nice clean bittering hop and I really wasn't sure how Galaxy would do for bittering. The bittering addition was adding about 25% of total IBU which is a rule of thumb I've developed as a max for my hoppy beers.

I think next time around I'll either switch to using Galaxy for the bittering as well, or swap over the Cascade to FWH. I found the FWH effect to be interesting. It loses that hop bite that seems strangely absent in the beer that I did FWH, but I think with this fruity Galaxy brew maybe that would be OK.

I would go for something like Magnum or Warrior or even a noble as Hallertauer Mittelfrüh (does really good with wheat IMO) as FWH targetting 25-30 IBU, and then use the whole amount of Galaxy as whirlpool,hopstand and/or dry hops. Think you'll get the taste you require.

BR Folke

Latest posts

Back