Galaxy IIPA - Final tweaking done, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLadybugTree

Reaction score
Better formatting and an alternative place to leave comments: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/146458/galaxy-iipa

I took into consideration what I could from the forum and my last poll for input. I made a new thread simply because it has been awhile and this recipe is actually pretty different now.

Goal: an 8% IIPA with strong bitterness (120) and lots of tropical/citrus hops while staying malty sweet after the hops taste leaves your tongue. Mouthfeel should be average. Not too thin, not too heavy. Head can be anything so long as the beer tastes good but I am shooting to see reasonable retention.

Limitations: Mashtun can not handle more than 12.5-13 # This recipe will be pushing it as is. It will be a thick mash. 1.25 qt/lb. This, and my inexperience, tells me I will be crossing my fingers for 65% efficiency.

Grain:
11 lb Canadian - Pale 2-Row 72.1%
1.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) 9.8%
1 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) 6.6%
8 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34%
8 oz Flaked Wheat 3.3%
8 oz German - CaraFoam 3.3%
4 oz American - Roasted Barley 1.6%

Hops:
0.5 oz galaxy Pellet 14 Boil 60 min 29.22
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 11 Boil 20 min 13.9
1 oz galaxy Pellet 14 Boil 20 min 35.39
0.7 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Hopback at 170 °F 10 min 7.34
0.7 oz citra Pellet 11 Hopback at 170 °F 10 min 11.53
1 oz galaxy Pellet 14 Hopback at 170 °F 10 min 20.97
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Dry Hop 7 days
0.2 oz Citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 7 days
0.5 oz galaxy Pellet 14 Dry Hop 7 days

Mash:
3.5 gal Mash in and rest Infusion 150 F 75 min
3 gal Drain infusion onto fired keggle Temperature 170 F 15 min
4 gal Sparge until 3' B or 7.5 gal in keggle Fly Sparge 170 F 15 min

Yeast:
S-05 200 mL of slurry from my APA. If stuck fermentation later, add Brett.

Expected timeline:
Day 0:
Ferment in Keezer at 65 F for 3 days.
Day 3:
Increase temperature to 70 F.
Week 3:
Cold crash at 38 F for 1 week.
Week 5:
Transfer to sanitized carboy. Add Dry Hop addition and rest in cold room. (hopefully around 70 F)
Week 6:
Rack to keg and carbonate at 10 PSI under 38 F for 2 weeks in keezer to achieve 2.38 Volumes of CO2
Week 8:
Sample first brew!

Personally I wouldn't use roasted barley. If you want color go with a debittered or darker caramel malt. I threw biscuit in my last batch. Came out great and nice light amber color.

Also, I don't think this thing will be "malty sweet". You have a low mash and 1# of sugar. You also plan to add brett if it is too high. That will be a low FG. You might just add some oats or flaked barley to compensate.

Do you have experience with brett?

I just did a black IPA and finished it with brett C. The bitterness is fine but, it is odd. Not sure I like it yet. Like someone spiked my beer with pineapple juice. If you do it, be prepared to wait. Mine is on 4 months and it still needs time.

Have a good time brewing this! Update this on how it goes.

I wanted to use up the roasted barley I've got. In future I would totally use a debittered malt. I have some 60L I might use instead of some of the pale though maybe. Would also help with the sweetness

I thought 1.020 was pretty sweet still. I'm not looking for SWEET but balanced.

Berliner is only experience with Brett. Was amazing. It's just a last resort though if I get stuck.

Personally I wouldn't use roasted barley. If you want color go with a debittered or darker caramel malt. I threw biscuit in my last batch. Came out great and nice light amber color.

Also, I don't think this thing will be "malty sweet". You have a low mash and 1# of sugar. You also plan to add brett if it is too high. That will be a low FG. You might just add some oats or flaked barley to compensate.

Do you have experience with brett?

I just did a black IPA and finished it with brett C. The bitterness is fine but, it is odd. Not sure I like it yet. Like someone spiked my beer with pineapple juice. If you do it, be prepared to wait. Mine is on 4 months and it still needs time.

Have a good time brewing this! Update this on how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made some tweaks. Added 60 L, dropped some base malt, cut barley in half, reduced sugar, increased DME.

Hope I did not mess it up.....

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10.5 lb Canadian - Pale 2-Row 36 1.75 68.9%
2 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light -(late addition)42 4 13.1%
10 oz Corn Sugar - Dextrose -(late addition) 46 0.5 4.1%
8 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 3.3%
8 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 3.3%
8 oz Flaked Wheat 34 2 3.3%
8 oz German - CaraFoam 37 1.8 3.3%
2 oz American - Roasted Barley 33 300 0.8%

For a double IPA I would use a lot more hops for the dry hop. This is the part that really gives you the strong aroma so aim for at least 3-4oz. The IIPA I have fermenting now is a modified Pliny clone with galaxy subbing the whirlpool/dry hop Simcoe, and it uses 3oz initially, with 1.5oz added halfway through the first dry hop.

For a double IPA I would use a lot more hops for the dry hop. This is the part that really gives you the strong aroma so aim for at least 3-4oz. The IIPA I have fermenting now is a modified Pliny clone with galaxy subbing the whirlpool/dry hop Simcoe, and it uses 3oz initially, with 1.5oz added halfway through the first dry hop.

I bumped the galaxy and cascade dry hop both up to 1.5. Overall gives me 3.2 oz of dry hops. Should be tasty. Thanks.

yeah, for an IIPA, that hop bill looks small at the end and dry hop. last IIPA i made i think i used close to a pound of NZ hops in the boil

yeah, for an IIPA, that hop bill looks small at the end and dry hop. last IIPA i made i think i used close to a pound of NZ hops in the boil

I was under the impression that boil additions over 100 ibu is wasted. How much aroma hops did you use? I have lots of galaxy but I would have to go out to buy more of anything else. And prices are steep locally.

Thanks.

What is the reason you would drop cara down. Doesn't seem like much in there.

DME is going to have some unfermentables in it. For a 10# grist 1# of cara malt would be the most you want to use. You have that plus DME plus 8oz of adjunct in the flaked wheat. This will finish sweet in a style that is usually pretty dry.

I don't use cara malt in IPA's and pales anymore so take that for what it's worth as well. Personally, I would go with flaked wheat or oats and skip all of the caramalt. You'll get the same result but the flavor is a little cleaner.

Oooooooh. I see. I didn't realize crystal/carafoam both are cara malts.

Maybe if I cut the DME back a bit, subbed for sugar, drop the carafoam...

ehhh I dunno. The original intent was to make this recipe out of things I had around and wanted to use up. Not a great way to brew really. Kind of like purposely making left overs.

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Thanks for the input

DME is going to have some unfermentables in it. For a 10# grist 1# of cara malt would be the most you want to use. You have that plus DME plus 8oz of adjunct in the flaked wheat. This will finish sweet in a style that is usually pretty dry.

I don't use cara malt in IPA's and pales anymore so take that for what it's worth as well. Personally, I would go with flaked wheat or oats and skip all of the caramalt. You'll get the same result but the flavor is a little cleaner.

I was under the impression that boil additions over 100 ibu is wasted. How much aroma hops did you use? I have lots of galaxy but I would have to go out to buy more of anything else. And prices are steep locally.

Nah. Load that thing with hops. My last normal IPA had around 4oz just in the whirlpool. Shift more to whirlpool/steep hops for more impact. I notice a great effect with FWH, 10 minute add, 2 whirlpool adds, and 2 dry hop adds.

Shift the hops more where they do the most and you can get by with less but, a 15-30 minute addition can round things off.

I am willing to be educated and I am sure this is contested. I always thought an IIPA was more alcohol and a bit more hops to balance and a DIPA was a bit more alcohol and double the hops? Then you have your triple and quad IPAs. Honestly, it probably doesn't matter...

I am willing to be educated and I am sure this is contested. I always thought an IIPA was more alcohol and a bit more hops to balance and a DIPA was a bit more alcohol and double the hops? Then you have your triple and quad IPAs. Honestly, it probably doesn't matter...

Hmmmm. Ya. There is a fair amount of debate out there about IPA vs IIPA. I always thought DIPA and IIPA were mostly the same. Who knows at this point. even BJCP style guidelines are blurry in this area:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php

Recipe currently sits as:

11# 2 row
8oz C40 (mouthfeel)
8oz c60 (mouthfeel - I heard layering crystal is worthwhile)
8oz. flaked wheat (head)
2 oz. roast barley (color is way off with out it)
1.25 # light dme (would do more grist but mash tun is small)
1.25 # dextrose

75 min mash at 150, 15 min 170 temp step, fly sparge at 170 for another 15/30 min.

Only things I'm still pondering will be if I play with the crystal and wheat. I have never felt so indecisive about a brew before.

Nah. Load that thing with hops. My last normal IPA had around 4oz just in the whirlpool. Shift more to whirlpool/steep hops for more impact. I notice a great effect with FWH, 10 minute add, 2 whirlpool adds, and 2 dry hop adds.

Shift the hops more where they do the most and you can get by with less but, a 15-30 minute addition can round things off.

I don't think there's any difference. DIPA = IIPA. Tripel and quad IPA? Never even heard of it. I'd just call them IIPA's

Correct. I looked into it. They are all IIPAs. Some people just like to call them triple, quad, etc just to say "look at me, I have mo' hops". They aren't a currently recognized style or even sub-style.

Just an update. Damn. This tastes good. Mango and passion fruit abound. I had some set backs with my efficiency because of the calculator and addition time. But without any further changes, it tastes delicious. An IPA. Not an IIPA. But yum. I renamed it.

"The brew formerly known as st. Patricks IIPA"

It's a mouthful. Which suits it.

Awesome. I really like galaxy and citra. Haven't used both together in the kettle yet. Citra and Centennial is my goto fruit ball combo as of late.

I don't think there's any difference. DIPA = IIPA. Tripel and quad IPA? Never even heard of it. I'd just call them IIPA's
To me they should be used to describe different beers. DIPAs should have a lot more malt body and presence. IIPA's should maintain the lightness/body of an IPA while really amping up the hops. In other words, for a DIPA I would more or less double the specialty malts present in an IPA recipe, while for a IIPA I would increase only the base grain and maybe add some more sugar to boost OG without getting more body/malt character.

I do agree that in the commercial world there doesn't seem to be much difference in beers labeled DIPA and IIPA.

To me they should be used to describe different beers. DIPAs should have a lot more malt body and presence. IIPA's should maintain the lightness/body of an IPA while really amping up the hops. In other words, for a DIPA I would more or less double the specialty malts present in an IPA recipe, while for a IIPA I would increase only the base grain and maybe add some more sugar to boost OG without getting more body/malt character.

I do agree that in the commercial world there doesn't seem to be much difference in beers labeled DIPA and IIPA.
I think that's way too finite. How malty or how bitter a person prefers the big IPA's should be a matter of preference. It's a sub style of a sub style in the first place. There's no need to split hairs any further. IF someone wants to be creative with the style they should do something completely different like white and black IPA's, IPL's and etc.

Latest posts

Back