Galaxy hop pellets: look weird/old/brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimTheHick

Reaction score
I've got some galaxy pellet hops for the first time ever and they look different from any other pellet I've seen. And not in a good way. They don't smell stale, but they don't smell that potent either. Heres a picture. All other pellets I've used have been green green green whereas these are more brown/sand in color. Is this normal for galaxy hops?

image-2843599107.jpg

The Galaxy hops I have are also very brown. Mine smell great though. When I first opened them I emailed the very reputable vendor I bought them from, who said that is just what the Galaxy pellets look like. I went ahead and brewed with them, and the beer turned out excellent.

I say go with your nose. If they smell good then they should taste good. If not, contact your vendor.

ipsiad said:
The Galaxy hops I have are also very brown. Mine smell great though. When I first opened them I emailed the very reputable vendor I bought them from, who said that is just what the Galaxy pellets look like. I went ahead and brewed with them, and the beer turned out excellent.

I say go with your nose. If they smell good then they should taste good. If not, contact your vendor.

Great, thanks! That hot Aussie sun must brown them up....

Maybe the smell factor has more to do with them being vacuum packed versus the soft pack used now by hop union- there wasn't any air space in the bag for them to really concentrate some aroma.

When I broke them up they smelled good. So I just used 4 oz instead of 2.

The galaxy hops I used earlier this year were green, but it might be a seasonal. They're a great hop, I really enjoy the wheat ale I made with them.

Back