Galaxy/Citra/Amarillo IIPA - how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So, i got a few hops and want to try this out... (bought 2oz citra, 2oz amarillo and 4oz galaxy)

10lb golden promise
2lb vienna
1lb C20l
.3lb acidulated malt

60 - .6 oz columbus
15 - .5 oz galaxy
10 - .5 oz galaxy

5 - 1 oz galaxy
5 - 1 oz amarillo
5 - 1 oz citra

WP/0 @160* - 1 oz galaxy
WP/0 @160* - .5 oz citra
WP/0 @160* - .5 oz amarillo

DH - 1 oz galaxy
DH - .5 oz citra
DH - .5 oz amarillo

S-05
mash @ 152

Should be...
1.072 > 1.010
67IBU
8% ABV
wanted to show off the galaxy but put 2 other hops in to accentuate them a bit more.

I would take some of the 10 and 5 min additions and move them to the hopstand and dryhop. 2 ounces for whirlpool and dryhop seems modest for an iipa. I think you'll want at least 3 for the dryhop.

Your recipe looks good. Mines similar, I've really only heard good things about using Amarillo hops with an IPA, so if you'd like to use this as maybe a form of comparison be my guest...

Ruckus IPA

5 Gal Batch
6lb LME Marris Otter
1lb corn sugar
1lb LME Munich
.38lb crystal 40
.13lb crystal 20
.06lb crystal 60

Hop Bill
1 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
1 oz citra 15 min
1 oz galaxy 1 min

Dry hop(7 days)
1 oz cascade
1 oz citra
1 oz galaxy

ABV 6.6%
IBU 93.8

you def have the schedule tail loaded. i like to add my late hops at 15-10. hops come off juicy and stick to your tongue well.

only thing i have to say is your hop choices. i think you have a fruit blast in the making. you've basically picked the fruitiest hops. not saying it wouldn't work but the flavor could get fatiguing. i would consider adding something to the mix that would contrast or add complexity in some way. columbus and chinook will work well and palisade could add a nice floral sweetness. simcoe and citra was odd for me so i would stay away. the other direction you could go would be a low AA hop like perle, northern brewer or willamette.

More hops! it might not be as present as you may think with a double ipa. Personally (and I know it'll cost a little more) double all the late/whirlpool/dry hop additions.

I disagree with the last poster. I made the Zombie dust clone, and used citra and simcoe, and it was amazing, simcoe takes a more peachy/piney note.

If you're limited by those quantities and want to highlight the galaxy, I would go:

60 Columbus
5 min 1oz Citra
5 min 1oz Amarillo
0 min 2oz Galaxy
0 min 1oz Citra
0 min 1oz Amarillo
DH 2oz Galaxy

Thanks for the insight!
Would this be better suited to an IPA instead of the IIPA ? meaning the hop quantities... i can't really get more due to the wife not working to stay home with the new born... not much in the way for cash flow with this hobby :) so i'm using up a bunch of hops for this recipe.

:EDIT: i've been reading a bunch of IPA Recipes to get an idea on hopping. seems like it's now seldom used to go the whole every 5 rule and i'm seeing more and more commercial example/clones go with like a 60 15 and a 0/WP/FO addition and dry hop.. i think i may do that and just load it on up at the end.

How about this reprise?

9lb Golden Promise
2lb Vienna
1lb C20
.3 acid malt

.6 Columbus @FWH

1oz amarillo @15
1oz citra @15

2oz galaxy FO
1oz citra FO
1oz amarillo FO

2oz galaxy DH

1.067>1.010
64 IBU

That looks tasty! It's going to be fairly malty with the crystal and vienna, more like a two-hearted than a west coast ipa, but that just comes down to personal preference. Try to let that flameout addition steep for 20-30 minutes before chilling. If you can get the wort down to 180 and then steep, all the better. I haven't tried Galaxy yet; I have some in the freezer. I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

Edit: Just looked up the two-hearted recipe and its 9 lbs two-row, 2 lbs vienna, .5 crystal 10L, and .5 carapils... so very similar to yours.

Back