Galaxy amber IPA recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hojo3322

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of galaxy hops and wanted to cram as much hops as i can into a modest OG recipe. I am a worried about adding too much hops and getting a grassy flavor. Is there such thing as adding too much hops? Recipe below, any suggestion would be appreciated :mug:

Estimated OG 1.047

specialty grain
1lb briess carmel 20

extract
6.30 lb amber male syrup

hops
1 oz @ 60 min Galaxy aplha 14.0%

1.0 @10min Galaxy
1.0 @ 5min Galaxy
2.0 @ 0 min Galaxy

2.0 dry hop Galaxy at 7days

yeast
WYEAST 1450 Denny's favorite

I just brewed up a galaxy pale ale a few days ago, and am anxious to see how it turns out. With the galaxy I don't think you'll get a ton of grassiness as long as you don't overdo the dry hopping time. Because the galaxy is a bit high on the AAs, I decided to put toss my bittering addition (.25 ounce galaxy/.4 ounce horizon for a 2.5 gallons batch) in as a first wort hop. YMMV. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

One thing I'd suggest is to either not use the crystal malt grains, or not use amber LME. That combo is way too much crystal for an IPA. Use the lightest LME you can find if you're using crystal malt as well! I like Denny's Favorite yeast, but it accentuates the malt so you really will have a very sweet finish there with those ingredients.

Anyway, about the hopping, I like the hopping but I'd probably reduce the bittering hops a bit. I'd target 55-60 IBUs (didn't run it through any calculator, but it looks higher than that) for that OG. I like the late hops, and would keep those the same.

Thank you guys. I made the base beer about a year ago with 3 oz of cascade and decided it would be better a nice hopped up Amber. In retro spect looks like I should have addressed the fermentables. Kettle is boiling now. I did lower the 60 min to .75. Fingers crossed and thanks for the help

Back