GABF - which session?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
So I've decided to try and get tickets to GABF this year - even joined AHA to have the option for the Saturday members-only session. The whole plan is still pretty fluid, but what I'm thinking right now is if I get tickets, making a week-long road trip beer tour out of it. Leaving NW Iowa, swing down to Omaha and kick the trip off from there. Drive out to Denver, possibly make a couple day drive of it, detouring to hit breweries along the way. Spend a couple days in the Denver area, visit as many breweries as possible while there, and then drive back home by way of Kansas City.

So my early-on initial plan was get tickets for both Saturday afternoon *and* Saturday evening; give myself plenty of time to explore. But after visiting with a new coworker who has been to GABF a few times, he recommends going to the first or second day; his reasoning being that some smaller breweries might run out of beer - especially limited releases, etc.

So, assuming I can get tickets, what would previous attendees here recommend?

The limited releases are usually distributed throughout the weekend, although quite a few occur during the members session in particular. For an out-of-towner, my suggestion would be to hit the GABF members session, then spend the rest of the time touring the plethora of breweries here. Just my $0.02.

I went to my first GABF last fall. We got tickets for Friday evening and although I got there a little later in the afternoon (6pm) my friend was there early enough to participate in a judging contest. I don't really think you can go wrong, there we so many breweries in attendance that you'll be hard pressed to even hit a quarter of them. Russian River had quite a long line but i was able to get to their table twice (pliny was gone by 7:30).

I think your plan of Saturday afternoon members session then the general Saturday evening is pretty solid. There's lots of vendors you'll be able to check out along with some cool shirts, hats, etc. Be sure to find time to stop at the Cheeky Monk, the food was great and the beers were spectacular! Also we loved checking out Great Divide, nice brewery right in the city.

You'll have a blast, enjoy!

Members session for sure, if you have to do a 2nd night Fri. night.

But one's liver can take only so much. I'd book several of the special beer dinners / releases, instead of a 2nd session. If you come out, PM me, meet you for a beer!

Back