G-mix (Nitrogen) absorb quicker then CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I put my stout/porter setup to good use recently which also included a 5 lb tank for G-mix (75% nitrogen, 25% CO2). I carbed the stout with my 10 lb CO2 tank for a week, all good there. Hooked up my 5 lb nitro tank to the 5 gallon keg and the beer came out awesome, very happy. However, after about 2 months (yes I drink slowly I guess) the nitro tank had nothing left. My 10 lb CO2 tank lasts much longer, granted it is double the size but I was shocked that the nitro tank was empty. So I instantly thought leak in the keg or tank, nope didn't find any. So now the question, does Nitrogen absorb faster than CO2? I was pushing the Nitro tank at around 25 psi. Thanks!

I've read that nitro basically won't dissolve in beer, so my guess would be that it's the higher pressure that's draining your 5# tank or you have a VERY slow leak somewhere.

As mentioned, the nitrogen is pretty much insoluble in beer, and the CO2 in the blend is just to keep the carb level constant. You will use a little more due to the higher pressure, but if it's used for serving only you should still be able to push 8-12 corny kegs with a 5# tank before you run out. There's no way you don't have a leak. Since it took 2 months to drain the tank, that means it's probably a super tiny leak, making it very hard to find. You'll likely need to submerge everything in a tub of water and watch for the tiny bubble once every few seconds.

As mentioned, the nitrogen is pretty much insoluble in beer, and the CO2 in the blend is just to keep the carb level constant. You will use a little more due to the higher pressure, but if it's used for serving only you should still be able to push 8-12 corny kegs with a 5# tank before you run out. There's no way you don't have a leak. Since it took 2 months to drain the tank, that means it's probably a super tiny leak, making it very hard to find. You'll likely need to submerge everything in a tub of water and watch for the tiny bubble once every few seconds.
+1 to this.
High pressure gas (the connections between the bottle and the reg) are impossible to detect with soap and water... it just blows the soapy water out of the way with no bubble observed.
It could be anything in that vicinity including the tank itself. Submerging is the only way to find it.

Yeah, that stinks but it is what it is, I appreciate the replies. I will find out if the place I go to fill it can run a test like this. Thanks guys.

I do, I will give that a whirl, problem is I have no gas left, so need to get it refilled.

Hey everyone, so I put my stout/porter setup to good use recently which also included a 5 lb tank for G-mix (75% nitrogen, 25% CO2). I carbed the stout with my 10 lb CO2 tank for a week, all good there. Hooked up my 5 lb nitro tank to the 5 gallon keg and the beer came out awesome, very happy. However, after about 2 months (yes I drink slowly I guess) the nitro tank had nothing left. My 10 lb CO2 tank lasts much longer, granted it is double the size but I was shocked that the nitro tank was empty. So I instantly thought leak in the keg or tank, nope didn't find any. So now the question, does Nitrogen absorb faster than CO2? I was pushing the Nitro tank at around 25 psi. Thanks!

How did you check for a leak if there was no pressure in the tank to make a leak obvious?

Back