G#D Damnit!!! Rubber Stopper Fell in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
So I just finished brewing for five hours, pitched the yeast and the ONLY carboy stopper I had, Universal (hmm), fell in the carboy as I attempted to pull it out by the airlock as it fell beyond where bungs should fall. Has this ever happened to anyone? I imagine the beer should be fine as the bung was starsanned but how would I get it out? I put aluminum foil around the carboy hole hoping it will do the job, should it be tightly wrapped, or half tight half loose, or loose? Will this damage the beer?

Get another air lock on it if you can. Or close a ziplock around the tip of the carboy, or use a sanitized balloon...As long as you give has a way to escape without letting air into it you'll be fine.

Getting the bung out is easy. Use a towel...seriously.

Just sanitize some aluminum foil, wrap it around the top and you're good.

Personally I seem to like fermenting my stir bars.

LOL thats what I have got going right now, thanks guys. Ill let you know if the beer is any better with a stopper in it ahaha:ban:

Getting the bung out is easy. Use a towel...seriously.

Yep, that works. Ask me how I know.

If you stopper was sanitized properly, just leave it, get another one and then get it out after the brew is done fermenting.

Aluminum foil is way cheaper than bungs and airlocks, doesn't require cleaning, is disposable, fit's anything, doesn't result in suck-back during temp changes, won't get plugged up and embed itself in the ceiling, etc. YMMV.

Yep, that works. Ask me how I know.

If you stopper was sanitized properly, just leave it, get another one and then get it out after the brew is done fermenting.

Ok sure, how do you know it works? And what is the towel technique, as in how is it executed to perfection?

I agree that you should leave until the carboy is empty. Not sure about towel method but ive just used a slim screwdriver and sort of pried it out

Ok sure, how do you know it works? And what is the towel technique, as in how is it executed to perfection?

Oh, the towel technique! I personally call it the "bag technique" that can amaze and stun partygoers while you make $5 on the bet.

Here's a youtube video of it in action:

There is a short ad at the beginning that is not completely work/family safe. Ignore the ad, but do the trick! (Maybe it won't show up on embedded video, but I wanted to warn people just in case!)

Last edited by a moderator:
it must to be a day for stoppers in carboy, i pushed one my self in to 3 days old beer at high krausen

yup my last apfelwien enjoyed a nice secondary addetive of rubber bung....just stoped by bells and got one of those carboy caps and waited till I bottled and used an allenwrench to pull it out of the mty carboy

I covered the top with clingwrap while I ran to Homedepot and bought clear plastic hosing (1 1/4 diameter) that was about 3 feet long. The trick is to put a bucket next to the carboy and to fill it with water. Fit the one end of the hosing (after sanitizing) into the top of the carboy and make sure the other end stays underneath the water in the bucket next to the carboy. You should soon see bubbles coming out, CO2 is pushing the air that was in the tube out and soon the carboy will be sealed again.
A much more assuring seal than foil.

+1 on having a bung fall into the brew. Now I only use musting caps, and they work so much better. The plastic shopping bag is what I used to get the bung out. Slipped the bag handle in, shook the bung to the top, and just pulled it right out.

never tried the bag or towel technique but I used a paint key aka church key to get the drilled stopper out of the carboy
33D8999C-C2CA-43ED-BCE6-8362B0CA2AB3.jpeg

Back