Future malt grains control freak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
Lately, more and more, when tasting my brews, I've been mistrusting my internet supplier of grains which packs my recipe grains crushed in a single bag. This is partially because they are constantly running out of stuff. Since I brew small batches based on taste tests, I believe my batch results vary more than I care for based on the amount of various grains included in the bag. It's impossible for me to know exactly how much they put in. I'm not talking grams but an ounce here, etc.

In the end, I want to only blame myself for a beer tasting differently from what I intended, so I have to get a good grain crusher and buy grains separately. I am the type of person who puts brakes on all spending, else I would spend too much. So I am going to take my 1st year anniversary in May as an excuse to 1. get very drunk, and 2. in the morning during the depths of hangover and (hopefully) regrets, go online to buy a high quality crusher and start buying whole malts so that I can control the ingredients myself more reliably.

I deserve AT LEAST that much for my hard work and dedication. :mug: Even if I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me.

I figure I've been doing this for almost year when I first bought a Mr Beer starter kit and whipped up me first beer. This hobby's not easy, but it's worth it.. for the betterment of community/mankind, etc.

Find a decent local homebrew supply store. You can walk in and watch what they add and don't add. If you are going to make the jump to all grain build your mashtun and get a decent burner and large pot before you spring for a grain mill. A grain mill is a good investment btw. It will allow you to adjust the crush of the grain to gain optimal efficiency and work best with your equipment.

My LHBS is self service. You have access to all the bulk grains, scales, and grain mill. If there is a problem with my grain bill there is only one person to blame! Of course if you need help finding anything or using the equipment that's what the staff are there for!

could you just write in the comments section you want each grain crushed and bagged separately?

Tinga said:
could you just write in the comments section you want each grain crushed and bagged separately?

This is how most suppliers ship your order without having to ask. Generally if you want them milled and mixed already that's what you have to ask for. Otherwise everything is separate, labeled, and noted of quantity.
Now what I have noticed is sometimes the weight you ordered isn't what they send you. I've been sent grain that was up to a 1/2 oz less than what I ordered. Which isn't a big deal if its base malt, but when its specialty grain it kind of throws things off a bit.

Latest posts

Back