Fusel alcohol from WLP644?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So I'm 11 days into primary fermentation on a 100% Brett Brux Trois IPA(WLP644). I made a 1 liter starter a couple days before brew day and pitched the whole thing at 64 deg. After 2 days I raised the temp to around 68 and after 9 days up into the low 80s where it has been sitting. I took a reading today and I'm down to 1.014 which is great and the smells are strong tropical fruit but the taste is loads of heat in the back of my throat. It is possible that the temp did go even into the upper 80s for a brief time(a few hours). Just wondering if this sounds fairly "normal" or if anyone has had experiences using 644 that might be relevant. Thanks

What was your OG? Brett starters take a lot longer than Sacc. It's generally recommended to give it a week. There are several growth phases. Plus brett vials are typically very small. It's likely that you under-pitched.

Back