funny looking strands underneeth krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palantier

Reaction score
I've got some funny looking strands coming from the bottom of the krausen, and some brown strands on top of it, although I'm not to worried about them as that looks kind of normal, but the strands beneath make me think of infection, just to note it smells like beer and no hints of vinegar or acetone. could it be yeast protein and some grains that got through the bag stuck together?

I've got some funny looking strands coming from the bottom of the krausen, and some brown strands on top of it, although I'm not to worried about them as that looks kind of normal, but the strands beneath make me think of infection, just to note it smells like beer and no hints of vinegar or acetone. could it be yeast protein and some grains that got through the bag stuck together?

Since you have a krausen I suspect this is yeast. Active fermentation can be pretty violent carrying clumps of yeast upward that can dangle with hop debris, proteins, etc. until things calm down the big stuff starts to settle out....no worries.

Back