Funny fermentation - over attenuated?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
So I guess over attenuation is better than it's counter part, but the FG on this brew was supposed to be 1.011. After 4 days using US-05 and a targeted mash temp of 153, it went from a SG of 1.041 to 1.006?

Now, is not having the mash temp at 153 supposed to promote the beta enzymes to allow larger sugar chains to remain present, so you get more flavor out of your brew? I did a protein rest at 122 because I have a higher pH water, (starts at 7.4, and only drops to about 6.6 after adding a ton of 5.2) and got my mash where I needed it to be when I sparged (wanna say 5.5 or 5.6pH). The malt bill was simple. 7# marris 2# flaked corn....I rehydrated the yeast and pitched on July 1st at 1am...so it's barely been 3.5 days, and I'm seeing 005-006. I measured with 2 hydrometers which both read 005-006, and my refractometer - which upon correction was saying the brew was supposed to be a FG of 0075. So I'm guessin the readings aren't off.

Did the same thing with a saison, but it did the same thing. It's got a FG of 002! This was simple saison yeast that I rehydrated same as the US-05. I wanna add strawberries to it in the secondary, but am afraid the berries would combust before imparting any flavors into the brew on this yeast! :drunk:

I've never had overattenuation when it comes to brews, but I'm looking at two pretty dry beers here from what I can see. I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary. Both beers were fermented at 65 degrees...which is cool for a saison yeast.

Any ideas why I got terminator yeast this time around?

Yeah, I did the mash out. I just my notes and forgot about a few things that happened. When I did the protein rest, it rose to 132 for about 5 minutes while the ice that I added cooled it back to 120. Here's the mash time table...

1) Added strike water at 132
2) Temp rose in mash tun to 132 (which I thought was weird)
3) Added ice and temp dropped from 132 to 122 over 10 minutes
4) Add 195 degree water. Temp rose to 153.
5) Checked temp 30 min into mash, and it had dropped to 145. Quickly added more 195 degree water to bring temp up to 153.
6) Temp stayed at 153 for final 15 min of mash (total mash time was 45min)
7) Mashed out for 10 min in temp range of 168-163 and then transferred...

Check to see if your hydrometer is off and that you're adjusting the readings for the measured temp.

Sounds like a significant part of your fermentation was in the 120s and mid-140s which may have led to a more fermentable wort. Sounds like it will be drier but it will still be beer. What's not to love?

Yea I'm going with extended time at low mash temps as a good culprit. Its happened to me more then once dialing in a new process even when I've made them time and time before. Didnt catch my temps quite right and come out lower then I anticipated.

I would get away from using 5.2 get the proper salts and use a good calculator I wouldn't trust that stuff as far as I could throw it.

+1 on skipping the 5.2. There are alot of experienced people on HBT (Yooper, Martin, AJ) that say it doesn't work and just adds salt. Try Bru'nwater for water chemistry. It takes a bit of a learning curve but it's worth it. I always hit my mash pH within 0.1 of what it predicts. Takes out the guess work.

Assuming your measurements are accurate my thinking is that either your fermentation ran hot and/or you over pitched on your yeast.

His mash temp went from 153 to 145 in 30 min I would bet even money that his mash temp was lower for longer then he thinks.

Also what are you mashing in? That big of a temp drop in 30 min is odd unless you have a very inefficient mash tun.

My 40 gallon uninsulated SS tun loses 2 degrees over the hour.

His mash temp went from 153 to 145 in 30 min I would bet even money that his mash temp was lower for longer then he thinks.
I missed that. Maybe stirring was an issue? Hit a 153 patch and went with it instead of moving the liquid to make sure it's a solid 153?

Back