funny beer story for newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pikledbill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would share my exploding beer story with any new brewers that were interested.

We were throwing a party on a river in Missouri last summer. I loaded up five cases of brew in the back seat of my Ranger to share with everyone. We sat around the campfire until 1:00 am on friday night enjoying delicious beer, and planned on leaving out for an 8 mile float on saturday morning.

I was pretty foggy saturday morning when we left, and didn't think about the two and a half cases of beer in my back seat (a twelve each of hefe, maibock, oatmeal cream stout, raspberry wheat). Windows up on the truck, the temp outside reached about 90 degrees...much hotter in my truck, even with my spare canoe strapped to the top blocking most of the sun from my windshield.

We got back to camp after the float, and my mom and dad had shown up at our campsite...they said some kids were playing with fireworks down by the river earlier. I just shrugged, and thought "who cares". We decided to ice down more homebrew from my and a buddies stock for the evening pickin' and grinnin' around the fire. I went to the truck to get my last two cases.

Turns out, the "fireworks" my mom thought she was hearing, were homebrew bottles exploding in my truck...from the excessive heat. The inside of my truck was covered in glass shards and sticky beer (even on the inside of my windshield)...on the good side, my truck smelled like delicious beer:D!! All told, four bottles had exploded...the exploding bottles had cracked several others in the general vicinity. The damage: I lost 18 beers.

My homebrew buddy was giving me crap about wasting beer...alcohol abuse and all that jazz...razzing me about getting an "open container" citation and DUI from the smell alone. He went on about how hard those yeast had slaved away on my behalf, only to have me **** on their collective graves with my cavalier attitude toward the fruits of their labor (it was classic and he was on a roll).

Then he stopped and got a weird look on his face. He started walking to his truck. He had left a case in his truck also...poetic justice...I just looked into his truck and said "oooohhh, that sucks man", and slapped him on the back. He had lost twelve bottles...and had the same newly scented interior.

We iced down what was left and drank it all that night...good times. I went home with less than a six pack.

Anyway, just a funny story.

Cheers,
PikledBill

Sucks...our winters here are a soupy mild mess and not that awesome. Makes me long for some serious river floating.

Back