Funky Smell After Baking Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
So after I attempted to sterilize my un-labeled bottles, and they all ended up smelling like burned glue and paper, I got some new bottles and baked them at 350 for 75 minutes. I wrapped the top of each bottle with a piece of aluminum foil. After they cooled, they all smelled like some kind of sewage. Is this normal? Will that smell fade away? Will it be imparted onto the beer I put into them?

Wow
Doesn't AL foil sometimes has a coating on one side? Or perhaps something else in your oven?
I suppose it's similar to using the dry cycle in the dishwasher, but I'm curious why sterilization would be necessary at all. Especially with new bottles...
I've always just washed in OxyClean and sanitized with StarSan. No issues yet.

i understand that sterilization isnt necessary, but in my mind its fairly simple to do, and more effective than sanitizing, so why not. But now i'm not so sure about it if the bottles keep smelling this funky. will it effect the beer?

What kind of bottles were they? I'm also assuming you washed them out well before baking?

I pretty much bake all my bottles (just fits well into my process), and occasionally I'll have a bottle or two that smell weird when baking ... not like sewage, just like hot glass (most bottles emit no odor when baking). It's almost always a weird foreign bottle or something like that.

Off the top of my head I'd say check your oven and make sure the bottles were clean to begin with. Also, if they smell funky now, I'm not sure if I'd put beer into them.

I've been baking bottles for years and never smelled anything. Does your oven smell when you cook in it? Are these normal brown 12 oz bottles? Let them sit for awhile and see if the smell goes away. You could put some water in one, swirl it around, and taste it to see if it imparts an off taste.

Hmm, weird. I also have no issue baking bottles and I rarely use foil. I typically soak used bottles in oxyclean before admitting them to my homebrewing universe.

I'm interested to hear what the issue is so I can avoid any potential problems. I see there are a couple of similar threads in this regard.

Back