full volume split boil extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarwolf

Reaction score
Has any one tried splitting their boil of an extract in order to boil a full volume? When I boil full volume the extract batches turn out awesome. When I don't... mehh. I intend to do some extract batches to build summer inventory, and I intend to split the ingredients between two 4 gallon pots and boil 6 gallons total 3 in each pot.

I'd like feedback on any thing I'm not anticipating.

It's called Texas two step, when I do extract I do the extract late method. I do extract in the winter because of all the snow we tend to get makes it harder to do full boils outside pluss extract cuts my brew days in half in the winter.

I'm with you. I'm just not feeling the desire to fire up outside. I've had a great time recently being in and brewing in the kitchen. So looking for ways to create good beer fast. Just wanting to know, or maybe confirm that I've thought of everything. It's been a while since I've done true extract batches. Mostly mini mash and all grain.

I've done Texas two step the process is solid but for me it's more convienant to do extract late plus cooling is so much quicker, either way the beer has been really good.:mug:

I just really feel like a combination of film volume boil and some portion of late extract addition will dramatically improve an extract batch. We did an experiment at lbc at the brewlab with full volume boils on an Irish red and an American pale. The flavors are fantastic almost as good as all grain, and certainly fine for summer lawnmower stock builders but the colors were still darker.

I stopped doing split boils a few years ago, I just find doing full volume saves on prep time/brew time. Then again I'm the kind of home brewer that decided to get 1L swing tops because I don't like the idea of washing and sanitizing 48 bottles. Nevermind that I don't really brew anything under 7%, either.

Back