Full Hard Lemonade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I just made my first batch of this and its delicious. I just bottled a 3 gallon batch last night. It was late and we had a small sugar problem. I added 2.5 cups sugar and 2 cans frozen lemonade. Now that I think about it I could've added some dextrose but it was too late to think of it at the time.

Wow I just made my first batch of this and its delicious. I just bottled a 3 gallon batch last night. It was late and we had a small sugar problem. I added 2.5 cups sugar and 2 cans frozen lemonade. Now that I think about it I could've added some dextrose but it was too late to think of it at the time.

That's the equivalent of what I used. 5 cups for a 6 gallon batch. Tastes great.

I just finished making a batch of this exactly as bknifefight listed and all I got to say is, this is some tasty stuff. Will be making this again. Thanks.

Has anyone had good success using lactose for back sweetening? With the amount of sugar people are adding to balance out the acidity, it seems a lot of lactose would be needed. I'd like to make a batch and bottle carb but don't want to pasteurize.

Just racked my 1 gallon batches today, both were quite sour but I guess that's
from the yeast fermenting all the sugar out of them. I plan to backsweeten
with one can of Minute Maid pink lemonade with both batches combined topped
to 3 gallons that I'll keg in my 3 gallon keg. This is my first attempt so I hope it's
decent considering how cheap it was.

I'm also interested in trying some lactose for future bottling someday....

So I've had a batch of this fermenting for just under a week (6 days). I went from 16 brix to 9 brix today (1.065 to 1.018 corrected). It seems to be slowing down, but I'm not sure if it really is. I've been going down about 1 to 2 points daily.

So I'm 71% attenuated. I'm standing at about 6.5% abv (if it stopped now, I'd be fine and happy with it)

But I was hoping to get down to 4 brix (1.00 corrected)

I'm planning 3 weeks in primary before I keg, but I'm wondering if I should bother messing with it and add oxygen/nutrients to help it the rest of the way.

Any thoughts from the experienced? I brew beer, so this is some what new territory for me. I've done a hand full of ciders, but they were far less gravity and acidity than this. I have a feeling it'll manage to dry it out over the next 2 weeks.

I gotta say it's pretty damn tasty right out of the conical. It has a yeasty nose, but the flavor is there.

At about 1.018 it's starting to taste a little dry/watery. I'm not getting any kind of excessive tartness or any of that. I'm almost thinking I might add some citric acid back, but I won't even think of it until it's fully fermented out.

I'm not going to follow the directions for back sweetening. Instead I'm going to back sweeten to about 1.020 (however that is achieved) the sample at that gravity was probably the best with out being cloying.

No doubt this will be a winner and summer staple. My girlfriend loves the samples.

The 2 cans of raspberry lemonade I added with the 8 lemonade really made an impact on the flavor. I'm glad I didn't do 100% raspberry lemonade.

I think with 2 more added during back sweetening, it's going to be fantastic.

Making another half batch, going to to the LME, 4 cans of Lemonade, and 2 lbs of pureed strawberries. Should be interesting

Well I didn't add oxygen or nutrients. So far it seems like it's still bubbling pretty consistent, so It really hasn't slowed down as much as I thought. It's down 1 more point to 8 brix now... 1.014 corrected. That's about 78% attenuation.

I think it'll get down to 1.00 here within the next week.

Yesterday it wasn't very tart... Today i'm noticing the acidity and tartness. It's actually quite good. Now I'm starting to think I'll sweeten closer to 1.015-1.020.

Just an update on the gluten free version. I'm at 11 days into fermentation and it tastes fantastic! I think this is going to work just fine.

Right now its sitting at 6.7% ABV. I'm going to pull a gallon off and kill the yeast. I'll let the rest ferment another week or two until it's around 8.5%. Then I'll back sweeten and bottle pasteurize like I normally do. I'll give another update after that's done.

This will probably be the last time I bottle pasteurize a batch of this...I'm getting a 4 keg keezer this Sunday. I can't wait!!

So I've had a batch of this fermenting for just under a week (6 days). I went from 16 brix to 9 brix today (1.065 to 1.018 corrected). It seems to be slowing down, but I'm not sure if it really is. I've been going down about 1 to 2 points daily.

So I'm 71% attenuated. I'm standing at about 6.5% abv (if it stopped now, I'd be fine and happy with it)

But I was hoping to get down to 4 brix (1.00 corrected)

I'm planning 3 weeks in primary before I keg, but I'm wondering if I should bother messing with it and add oxygen/nutrients to help it the rest of the way.

Any thoughts from the experienced? I brew beer, so this is some what new territory for me. I've done a hand full of ciders, but they were far less gravity and acidity than this. I have a feeling it'll manage to dry it out over the next 2 weeks.

I gotta say it's pretty damn tasty right out of the conical. It has a yeasty nose, but the flavor is there.

At about 1.018 it's starting to taste a little dry/watery. I'm not getting any kind of excessive tartness or any of that. I'm almost thinking I might add some citric acid back, but I won't even think of it until it's fully fermented out.

I'm not going to follow the directions for back sweetening. Instead I'm going to back sweeten to about 1.020 (however that is achieved) the sample at that gravity was probably the best with out being cloying.

No doubt this will be a winner and summer staple. My girlfriend loves the samples.

The 2 cans of raspberry lemonade I added with the 8 lemonade really made an impact on the flavor. I'm glad I didn't do 100% raspberry lemonade.

I think with 2 more added during back sweetening, it's going to be fantastic.

Hey insanim8er. Not sure if this will help, but here's how my fermentation progressed.

Starting Gravity: 1.061
Day 2: 1.061
Day 3: 1.050
Day 6: 1.020
Day 8: 1.014
Day 9: 1.004
Day 10: 1.000
Day 16: 0.997
Day 21 Final Gravity: 0.996

Back sweetened to 1.014 with 4 cups sugar and 2 cans of the lemonade. That was the prefect sweetness according to everyone who tested it.

Hope this helps.

Awesome... It looks like mine is almost exactly on schedule to that one. It should be done soon.

I was going to ferment for 3 weeks, but once it hits 1.00, I'll keg it. Then I'll cold crash, use gelatin to clear it, transfer it over to a sorbateted keg and back sweeten and carbonate. Then I'll probably start another batch for our summer vacations.

Is it safe to say this stuff will age with no issues?

Awesome... It looks like mine is almost exactly on schedule to that one. It should be done soon.

I was going to ferment for 3 weeks, but once it hits 1.00, I'll keg it. Then I'll cold crash, use gelatin to clear it, transfer it over to a sorbateted keg and back sweeten and carbonate. Then I'll probably start another batch for our summer vacations.

Is it safe to say this stuff will age with no issues?

I made my back in January and it stills tastes good to me. I've been mixing it with an amber ale I made for a homemade shandy type drink. I like it better than any shandy on the market.

I made my back in January and it stills tastes good to me. I've been mixing it with an amber ale I made for a homemade shandy type drink. I like it better than any shandy on the market.

That's interested a Shandy with an amber... I've had commercial shandy from Mikes. It was alright. Better than the straight mikes since it was less sweet, but not really my thing. But my GF loves the stuff. I was thinking about making up a batch of Cream of Three, so she can make her own Shandy outta this stuff.

It's officially 2 weeks tomorrow. It looks like i'm sitting at about 9% abv and have been at a steady .995 for the last couple days.

I'm going to keg tonight or tomorrow and crash it.

Do you guys add the potassium sorbate to the back sweetening solution and not have issues? I've always been told to sorbate, wait a couple days, then back sweeten. If I can add the sorbate to the sweetening solution, that would make life easier.

I'd sorbate the lemonade, wait a day, then sweeten. One time I added sorbate and sweetened at the same time and ended up with a carbonated beverage instead of still! Luckily no bottle bombs.

But you probably won't have any issues if you both sorbate and sweeten but immediately crash it.

I got to try my first kegged 3 gallon batch last night, I'd say it was pretty nice for the first attempt. I used 1 can of minute maid pink lemonade with about 1 1/2 cups of corn sugar to sweeten it up. I made a mistake adding water to the ~2 gallon of hard pink lemonade to fill my keg up. Naturally it lowered the alcohol to about 6% and looked light pink. My keg froze up because of that - duh! I just raised my temp up some to get it flowing again. My girlfriend enjoyed it as well, she thinks it's close to a Boone's wine pink lemonade but slightly more sour.

Being very cheap and simple to make I'll keep making 3 gallon batches. Instead of 2 gallons to ferment I'll do 3 next time so my keg won't freeze up - I keep my kegerator at 32°F. I didn't sorbate or anything like that. I wanted to experiment with a simple approach, I hope this can help anyone out there who may want to make a simple kegged hard lemonade without too much work.

Is it possible to back sweeten without sorb ate and throw in fridge to get a little carbonation without bombs? Also, how do you get frozen concentrate into a car boy? I want to make a five gallon batch, can I keep the same recipe and add less water? Thanks

Is it possible to back sweeten without sorb ate and throw in fridge to get a little carbonation without bombs? Also, how do you get frozen concentrate into a car boy? I want to make a five gallon batch, can I keep the same recipe and add less water? Thanks

Yes. Fill a couple PET bottles and you can guage the hardness and then know when to chill. I have some over a year old that is carbed and is still sitting in the fridge. It's crystal clear now and fantastic.

to get the juice in the carboy? thaw the cans first.

This stuff is awesome.I just transfered to a corny and and am going to carbonate.I had about 3 quarts left after filling the corny and gave some samples out.everybody wants some.I am going to start another batch to bottle.

Threw this together yesterday. Some bubbling in the carboy, but lots of clumps floating in suspension. Is this normal? Thanks for the help

Mine had a lot of what I'm assuming was lemonade clumps floating during fermentation. Some of them fell out of suspension as it went, but some turned white and continued to float.

I don't know if this is normal, but it's what happened with mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's interested a Shandy with an amber... I've had commercial shandy from Mikes. It was alright. Better than the straight mikes since it was less sweet, but not really my thing. But my GF loves the stuff. I was thinking about making up a batch of Cream of Three, so she can make her own Shandy outta this stuff.

I keg so I just pour my amber then some of this lemonade. Very easy and tastes great. I'm not sure how many people have tried the Narragansett Del's shandy but it tastes similar to that.

Anyone try brewing this with more DME? I'd be interested to see what using more DME does. Instead of mixing a shandy, brew it as a shandy.

I made mine current batch with "Kitzinger's Reinhefe Champagner" yeast. It's dropping 10 points a day (that's a strong fermentation), so I'd say that this yeast has zero problems with the acidity of the lemon juice. I didn't even let it sit for 2 days to allow preservatives to dissipate.

You can even do a new batch right on top of the same yeast cake if you don't use K-meta and finings in that vessel.

The gluten free version is a success! I just finished back sweetening and it tastes great. I can tell it's missing a little of the malty flavor, but it is still a fantastic tasting drink!

To adjust the original recipe simply:
Remove the DME
Substitute 2 cans of Lemonade concentrate
Use 3 lbs of corn sugar for the initial wort mixture (the original recipe says 2.5 lbs in one spot and 3 lbs in another)

Everything else stays the same....(well, I did use Nottingham yeast because I like the taste better, but I'm sure Lalvin will work just fine)

We are drinking a lime-aid version now. It is a hit! I did not have the stated yeast so just used Safeale-05 with no issues. Cut the fermentation short to keep ABV down for the girls. Will do the Lemonaid for the 4th. Thanks for this mega easy treat!

I'm brewing this up tonight for a summer party and have 2 questions:

1. I mistakenly bought Potassium Metabisulfite instead of Potassium Sorbate. I do plan on kegging, does it make a difference which one I use?

2. As far as kegging goes will this hard lemonade have any adverse affect on my keg or lines? Should I try to use a new/separate line for serving this? I wasn't sure if the acidic lemonade would leave a permanent flavor in the keg or lines.

Thanks! I also plan to cut back the sugar so that it's not as high ABV. I will report back after brewing it tonight.

I'm brewing this up tonight for a summer party and have 2 questions:

1. I mistakenly bought Potassium Metabisulfite instead of Potassium Sorbate. I do plan on kegging, does it make a difference which one I use?

2. As far as kegging goes will this hard lemonade have any adverse affect on my keg or lines? Should I try to use a new/separate line for serving this? I wasn't sure if the acidic lemonade would leave a permanent flavor in the keg or lines.

Thanks! I also plan to cut back the sugar so that it's not as high ABV. I will report back after brewing it tonight.

Campden tablets = potassium metabisulfite

You need potassium sorbate to stop new fermentation. But if you're using it for a party, and it's being kegged, I wouldn't bother.

Keep it cold and back sweeten just before the party. Drink it up and don't worry.

If it's going in bottles or not kept cold, definetly do it the right way.

I racked mine to the secondary and chilled it down to 40F and the yeast still did not go to sleep. I filled up a gallon jug with what would not fill in the keg. I left it out of the refrigerator over night and was making breakfast and turned around then BAM!!!!!! glass jug exploded and the force knocked over a wine bottle off the counter onto the floor. there was glass on the other side of the room. SWMBO and her friend had just left the room to have coffee on the patio and the cat was up stairs...Lessons learned

I was convinced that racking and chilling down for 10+ days would have been enough. Mine went from 1.100 to 1.012 in a week or so. i was convinced that the yeast would not be able to survive. I was wrong.

I backsweetened the keg with 2 cans of frozen lemonade and added 3 crushed campden tablets (just in case). According to everyone that has tried it it has a nice balance of tart and sweet and not too dry. Starting another batch soon.

This is a really easy and good recipe for hard lemonade. It is a lot stronger than Mike's.

Ingredients (makes 6-7 gallons):

- 12 cans preservative-free Lemonade concentrate (I use Nature's best
brand from Aldi's cause it is cheap, Minute Maid is another option)
- 1 lb Extra light or Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 2.5 lbs corn sugar
- Yeast nutrient
- Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast (THIS YEAST IS VERY IMPORTANT, OTHER CHAMPAGNE YEASTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMONADE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE YEAST PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Appx 8 cups regular cane sugar

Rehydrate yeast:

Rehydrate yeast by combining 1 cup warm water with 1 tbsp of lemonade concentrate and just a couple yeast nutrient pellets with Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, Allow to sit for at least a half hour. You should see vigorous action in the yeast when ready.

Brewing the wort:

In a 2.5+ gal brew pot, combine 1 lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract (DME) with 3 lbs corn sugar to appx 2 gal boiling water. This will give you appx 9% abv when finished. To increase alcohol, increase sugar and/or DME, use less sugar to lower ABV). Stir until completely disolved Remove from heat, and 7 tsp yeast nutrient.

Combine wort in large plastic fermentor bucket with 10 cans lemonade concentrate, and enough cold water to fill bucket to bring total volume to 6 gal. Make sure temp is between 65 - 75 degrees, and take initial hydrometer reading. Pitch in your yeast starter. Put lid and airlock on fermentor and allow to ferment at room temp.

Fermentation:

You should see steady fermentation within 2 -3 days, that will last 1-2 weeks. Allow to ferment completely out before attempting to bottle.

Bottling day:

Take hydrometer reading. You should be right around .998 – 1.002 specific gravity.

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Add lemon/sugar/sorbate solution to a 7 gal bottling bucket. Rack fermented lemonade from carboy into bottling bucket with the sorbate solution, stirring thoroughly.

You can bottle in beer or wine bottles, or you can keg. Even with the sorbate, you will probably get a little bit of carbonation as it sits, but it is usually not enough to pop a cork. I usually keg, and force carbonate.

It is ready to drink on bottling day.

im going for this one for my 4th keg to fill my freezer :)

this is a all grain reciepe right?

I racked mine to the secondary and chilled it down to 40F and the yeast still did not go to sleep. I filled up a gallon jug with what would not fill in the keg. I left it out of the refrigerator over night and was making breakfast and turned around then BAM!!!!!! glass jug exploded and the force knocked over a wine bottle off the counter onto the floor. there was glass on the other side of the room. SWMBO and her friend had just left the room to have coffee on the patio and the cat was up stairs...Lessons learned

I was convinced that racking and chilling down for 10+ days would have been enough. Mine went from 1.100 to 1.012 in a week or so. i was convinced that the yeast would not be able to survive. I was wrong.

I backsweetened the keg with 2 cans of frozen lemonade and added 3 crushed campden tablets (just in case). According to everyone that has tried it it has a nice balance of tart and sweet and not too dry. Starting another batch soon.

You need to keep it cold to prevent the yeast from becoming active again. Once you take it out of the fridge and put it on the counter, they're back to work.

If it's in a keg that is kept cold 24/7, then there's no need to worry.

Can you provide the all grain recipe?

There isn't an all grain recipe for this. You can convert it in Beersmith or a similar program I suppose....but I wouldn't do it. I tried it once (I'm an all grain brewer)...it just added more time and clean up to my day. Most of the taste is from the lemonade. Just buy the pound of extract and be done with it.

There isn't an all grain recipe for this. You can convert it in Beersmith or a similar program I suppose....but I wouldn't do it. I tried it once (I'm an all grain brewer)...it just added more time and clean up to my day. Most of the taste is from the lemonade. Just buy the pound of extract and be done with it.

Agreed... Not worth the effort to save a few bucks. But I believe it's about .6lb of dry malt extract per lb of grain.

I did an all grain version that worked out alright but mostly because I've got quite a bit if 2 row and only enough extract for a few more starters. The malt doesn't carry over much flavor. I would like to try this with some biscuit malt though it could be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I finally racked my first batch to keg yesterday (couldn't find the time and felt it needed to sit anyway to get rid of the sulfur I detected)

That batch will get consumed during the 4th.

So I'm going to start another couple batches since we're going on vacation and other planned events.

I'm doing something different. I'm using http://www.hawaiisown.com/

Guava strawberry with lemonade
And
Pineapple mango with lemonade

Bottled up my batch on Sunday, no sorb ate, very little carbonation so far. Has a lemon wine taste right now, anyone else experienced this or will it change with more carbonation? Thanks

Bottled up my batch on Sunday, no sorb ate, very little carbonation so far. Has a lemon wine taste right now, anyone else experienced this or will it change with more carbonation? Thanks

That's exactly how I'd describe the flavor when I used Lalvin yeast. Carbonation didn't change it much. Did you use Lalvin? If so then you might want to consider using Nottingham next time. You'll get a cleaner flavor that tastes more like lemonade. I only used Lalvin once and didn't like the wine flavor. I switched to Nottingham and have never looked back.

Back