Full boil on partial kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fades47

Reaction score
Howdy,.

Got me a new kettle and burner from wifey for Xmas. I've done ciders and wines before but this will be my first beer. Question is, if I get and extract recipe kit that calls for say a 3 gal boil, is there an issue with doing a full boil? Would it change my final flavor by utilizing hops more? Change it for the better or throw the bitterness off? Thanks!

The boil accomplishes more than just isomerizing the hop oils so that they are soluble. It sterilizes & concentrates your wort. Most recipes/kits have OG's designed around a full boil.

But, it's a lot easier to cool down 3 gallons than 5 gallons. keep that in mind as well.

Howdy,.

Got me a new kettle and burner from wifey for Xmas. I've done ciders and wines before but this will be my first beer. Question is, if I get and extract recipe kit that calls for say a 3 gal boil, is there an issue with doing a full boil? Would it change my final flavor by utilizing hops more? Change it for the better or throw the bitterness off? Thanks!

You can do a full boil if you have the means to cool the wort to pitching temperature. You can also add about half the extract in the last 15 minutes of the boil to keep the beer color lighter. Late extract addition technique. Aim for an initial wort SG of about 1.040 for optimum hop oil isomerization.

Easier doesn't always make the best beer.

Which is very true, but some of my best Extract brews were done without a full boil (but not a pale ale or IPA) so i don't know about that.

The main reason it's his first beer. A lot of people coming from wine to beer don't even think about having to cool it, so it was a gentle nudge...

Yes I'm aware of the cooling. I research the crap out of things before I plunge in. Will be making a simple wort chiller prior. I can't even imagine attempting to cool 5gal in an ice bath. Sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for all the input! That late extract edition is a good idea. My first batch will.more than likely be a stout so color won't matter, but great advice

Yes I'm aware of the cooling. I research the crap out of things before I plunge in. Will be making a simple wort chiller prior. I can't even imagine attempting to cool 5gal in an ice bath. Sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for all the input! That late extract edition is a good idea. My first batch will.more than likely be a stout so color won't matter, but great advice

It doesn't have to be a nightmare. Where I live it's often pretty cool outside and usually there is snow when I brew (I'm too busy in summer to brew) so I set a plastic tub outside, half fill it with water and let it cool while the wort is boiling. Then I set the kettle of wort into the water and start dumping in snow. Some days it is cool enough that the water will have a layer of ice before the wort completes the boil so I know the water is cold.

I assume the kit instructions say to do a partial boil simply because it's easier, they even give an OG range so I'm sure doing a full boil will cause you to fall on the higher end of that range.
My only concern is that you would need to steep your grains longer than the allotted time called out in the kit. Most of mine have said 20 minutes.
Has anyone done full boils with kits and had to steep longer than this?

I assume the kit instructions say to do a partial boil simply because it's easier, they even give an OG range so I'm sure doing a full boil will cause you to fall on the higher end of that range.
My only concern is that you would need to steep your grains longer than the allotted time called out in the kit. Most of mine have said 20 minutes.
Has anyone done full boils with kits and had to steep longer than this?

A steep is a steep. Volume by itself does not affect length of time.

Back