full boil on a gas oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malintent

Reaction score
Anyone successfully get about 7 gallons of wort boiling on a conventional gas stove top in a flat-bottomed, aluminum kettle? It has been raining every single day I am available to brew, and I am falling behind... would like to know what I can expect if I try to move it indoors. I normally use a propane setup that takes about 30 min to bring that amount to boil from sparge... am I looking at hours... or never?

I do 5 gallons boils on my gas range. After flame out I'll adjust to my final volume before chilling. Not ideal but makes doing full boils on the range more manageable.

I have a gas stove with an 18,000 BTU power burner that will boil 7.5 gallons. I boil in an 8 gallon Polarware pot.

When it's too cold or rainy outside I use a 1500W heatstick to assist my gas stove, it works great.

I have a gas stove with an 18,000 BTU power burner that will boil 7.5 gallons. I boil in an 8 gallon Polarware pot.

I looked up the specs of my stove and it appears my best burner is 16,000 BTU. I am using a larger pot, though... 12 gallons. So, I think I might be OK, since I have greater surface area, despite less BTUs.

not to thread jack, and the OP also asked, how long does it take you to get to a boil?

been going at 4 pretty easily, wouldn't mind upping to full boil

I used my natural gas stove (2 burners on simultaneously) to bring 6.5 gallons of wort to a boil in a 9 gallon kettle. It took about an hour. You tend not to get a vigorous boil like you would on a propane burner, although it definitely was a "rolling" boil so I was satisfied.

heferly said:
not to thread jack, and the OP also asked, how long does it take you to get to a boil?

been going at 4 pretty easily, wouldn't mind upping to full boil

Never really timed it but prolly 20 to 30 minutes from mash out temps ~165 to a rolling boil.

Our 16,000 BTU will boil 7.5 gallons, it can take awhile from room temp ~68 takes about 50-60 when I tested it, just kept adding water.

From mash, about 20-30 minutes. I use a SS 9 gallon pot.

I have a 10 gallon pot and with 6.5 gallons in the pot straddling 2 burners with the water straight from the tap (about 55*) it took 80 minutes to get to a boil. Once at boil, both burners had to stay on high to even maintain the boil. Just picked up a propane burner so hoping that will help.

What about doing it in your garage? Or shed? Or getting a 10x10 canopy? I like the idea of that 1500w heatstick, gonna have to make one of them soon!

I do full 5 gal boils on a gas range with no problems in a SS pot. In another SS pot, larger and larger diameter, I get a full 5 gal boil but it takes forever and it isn't a strong one. The size, diameter of your pot makes a lot of difference no matter what your heat source.

BAH! I have a new problem. Went to test out my ability to boil 7+ gallons and discovered my f'ing kettle doesn't fit between the stove and the f'ing "over the range" microwave.

I can't win... just need to wait for better weather or go all electric (I am partial electric now, with a RIMs tube).

+1 for the Power Burner!!!

My wife wondered why I was adamant about making sure our stove had one.

My wife figured it out pretty quick when I had the kettle out verifying I had clearance to the hood.
Me:You want the dual fuel with the power burner? Sounds good!
Her: What would I need the power burner for?
Me: Boiling lot's of water.
Her: But...
Me: Look, it is shiny.

I insulate my pot with the 'heavy' aluminum foil and keep the lid (also insulated) on. Requires extra vigilance. But, I can juuust get a boil. Cranked to 'HI', my max temp on my last brew was 218F in the pot with 6.5 gallons.

I never timed it.

I use an aluminum turkey fryer pot, 30 or 32 qt I believe.

Back