Full Boil in Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I really want to do a full boil but am still trying to secure funds from the CFO (SWMBO) for a larger brewpot with a spigot. In the meantime, I'm thinking about giving it a shot in my turkey fryer kettle.

I'm thinking foam control is a must. Also, planning on lifting/dumping the cooled wort(I have an immersion chiller) into my fermenter being a challenge. Other than that, I'm following a clonebrews PM recipe and will plan on getting better hop utilization and adding my extract late in the boil.

Anyone do this? If so, how does it go? Anything to watch for that I'm not considering?

All of my batches have been full boil extract/partial mash in my turkey fryer pot. Not sure how big yours is but mine is 7.5 gallons - large enough for a full boil but small enough that I have to keep a pretty close eye on it. For awhile I just kept finicking with the flame if foam started climbing but now I use a foam control (or a spray bottle if I am out of Fermcap) to keep from boiling over.

You probably don't need to worry about adding the extract late - since you are doing a full boil you don't have to worry as much about losing out on your hop utilization.

Once you get going and lose some water from evaporation you should be fine.

EDIT: Mine is aluminum and I have no issues. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

I also usually just lift the pot and pour the cooled wort through a sanitized strainer into the fermenter. Keeps out most of the junk and helps with aerating. If you don't have someone to assist or are worried about it you can always siphon from your fryer pot to the fermenter.

To the OP: I do it. I've used foam control drops+monitoring the boil constantly and still have to add some of the wort as it boils down before I can safely get it all in the pot. Even with all this, I still have small boilovers basically every time I brew about to name the damn place the Boilover Brewery, can't lick that issue to save my life). It is possible, it's just a bit of effort.

I've got a 15gallon pot on the way to solve this issue...should be able to do foil boils for 5 or 10 gallon batches with foam control and walk away...although with my luck, I'll probably still get boilovers :(

What's the pot made of? If it's aluminum, I certainly would not use it.

You: See here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ Aluminum pots are fine, and many of us use them every time we brew.

Oh man, here we go again.....
What's the pot made of? If it's aluminum, I certainly would not use it.

If you are doing a full boil there is really no need to add the extract late. You won't get the caramelization that you normally would from a partial boil (if that is what you are looking to prevent).

Foam control is definitely something that you want to think about if you have the standard size turkey fryer (7.5 gallons). Fermcap is my favorite for this job.

Looks like you already know about increased hop utilization. Some people account for this. I don't. To each is own.

Other then that, I love doing full boils outside and love the results even more! Good luck!

Aluminum is fine by the way. Don't give it a second thought

Edit: Looks like others beat me to the punch

If you've got an auto-siphon, or the $3 one somebody posted on here at some point, there's no need to pour anything.

aluminum's fine if it's not all shiny. If it is, boil some water in it for 20 minutes...

A turkey fryer with a cheap-ass 30qt enameled pot in the backyard is all I've ever used. It boils over onto the grass sometimes too. Whatever. The beer tastes great. I got a 32-qt aluminum tamale steamer from Target for $17 to use as my boil kettle; my current one will become my HLT.

I use a turkey fryer because its cheap and works well for me. I have a keggle too but it is big for just 5gal batches. Since it is my boil kettle and my HLT I need to pick it up and dump it sometimes but thats where welding gloves work great or some oven mits work great.

+1 on the turkey fryer. I use the aluminum pot it came with (7.5 gal). Use some Fermcap to control the foam and you're all set. I just pick it up and pour into the fermenter. It's not that heavy and I get good aeration by pouring it back and forth a couple of times.

+1 on the aluminum pot being OK...used my Brinkman TF with 32qt pot until I converted a keg.

Tip on pouring...after full boils, I would end up with roughly 5.5-6gal worts which are heavy...just tilt the kettle while on the stand to eliminate the need to pick it up, makes pouring very easy. As long as you have the correct distance between your stand and your primary, you should have no problems. Also, having someone to hold your straining device helps as well.

I used some plastic replacement window screen material draped and secured over the primary to strain...sanitized screen and cooled wort of course. Nothing detrimental to the beer at any time. Leave enough slack in the screen to catch all your trub and to avoid spills...pour slowly cause it splashes.

Good luck...you'll love the turkey fryer...no more cooling water:rockin:

I used to use my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot for full boils. Two things really helped with the boil over issue. A spray bottle to spritz the foam, and I use a fan to blow air across the top of the kettle. The fan is very effective in foam control.

I've not used fermcaps so I can't comment on those, I try to limit how much stuff I'm adding to the kettle.

Good Luck...

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. Next batch will definitely be a full boil! :rockin:

just had another boil over right now came up fast but turkey fryer got me brewing man a need a bigger pot or stay off the forum when brewing ;)

Fermcap = awesome.
Turkey Fryer = awesome.
Full boil = awesome.
Aluminum = don't worry about it.

I did this for a while until I got my keggle....just use foam control...oh and I had to not add QUITE all my water at the start...I'd start with around 6.25 gallons water/wort/whatever, and boil off around 1.5-1.75 over 90 minute boils, (which I since learned were unnecessary), so I'd top up with water periodically throughout the boil so I'd end at around 5.5 gal.

Oh yeah, and siphon it out of the pot after you cool. If you are worried about losing the aeration you get from "vigorously pouring", then search "cheap and easy aeration gadget" on this site.

I do full boils in a 30qt aluminum turkey fryer and it's fantastic. Boilovers are easy to prevent. Just grab a full pint, a chair and a spray bottle and don't leave the damn thing alone until the boil is on and the foam has settled down. For me, it's just about enough time to relax and enjoy a pint!

Latest posts

Back