Frustrated with kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I really don't understand much about kegging even though I've had the system for nearly a year.
A couple of weeks ago I opened the freezer only to find 4 gallons of rye stout had leaked out of my keg, followed by all my co2. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I finally realized that the hose had become a little unscrewed and it was enough to leak out.
THen last night I went downstairs to get a pint and found another keg had leaked. This time it was only about a pint but all my co2 was gone. . THe thing is that not all the beer escaped. THe top of the keg was wet. When I opened the keg the beer was foamy. Is it possible that my regulator is messed up and I over pressurized the keg and the safety valve(lack of proper term) let out the co2 and some beer.
I figure that if the beer had came out the beer out stem that it would have all leaked out like the last time.
I really want to figure this out because there is nothing more frustrating then losing beer.

did you change out all the o-rings before use? Did you check the keg for leaks while under pressure? Your CO2 can leak from any fitting from the regulator on out. Tighten the heck out of every hose connection. Not sure how some beer leaked out but not all, the only way out for the beer is the liquid out post. I would double check that post, the o-ring of the dip-tube, and all connections to it and tighten them down. Pressurize and spray with soapy water to see if you get any bubbles.

I'm better your gas-in post, disconnect was leaking. As the beer lost carb in the keg it formed some head which escaped out the short gas dip tube until the level was too low...and the whole time CO2 was draining too.

I use threaded QD's and wrap the threads in teflon tape, slightly cinched with a wrench.

Check poppets and o-rings too.

Corny kegs require regular maintenance. You can get rebuild kits that contain the o-rings you'll need to change out, I usually do all mine at least once a year. Also, if you don't clean them good after each use the little pins inside the hook-ups will get sticky and result in your beer leaking out if/when if you remove the ball lock on the beer side. By design these kegs are not supposed to leak period, so if you are experiencing leaks it's past time to replace the o-rings at the very least.

Back