Fruiting a dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red999

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should add fruit to a dunkelweizin? I know a dunkelweizen is just a darker version of a hefeweizen so I don't see any problems doing this but then again this is only going to be my second batch of homebrew. I purchased the Northern Brewer dunkelweizen kit and planned on doing half regular and half with pomergranate juice (have yet to find an extract anywhere). My plan is to bottle half of the beer as normal and then slowly add the pomegranate juice to the rest of the beer, gently mix, and then bottle. Not sure on how much juice I plan on adding yet. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Don't think I have ever seen a pomegranate brew and there is probably a reason for that. Reminds me of the time a guy I know was having a hard time finding an argyle sweater vest...there's a reason you can't find argyle sweater vests for men! Anyway, its your beer, make it how you like it. You can add stuff like that to the bottling bucket and keep tasting until its right. For your first 4-5 kits, I suggest sticking to the recipes. Once you get a little experience, then read on, read on and try some of the stuff you can get off this site. Good luck.

I have a hefeweizen in the fermenter that I used WLP-300 with. It's currently fermenting @ 68 degrees. I'm thinking of saying it's a banana wheat because it's very fruity.

He'Brew makes a Pomegranate Beer that I really like:
http://www.shmaltz.com/origin/ORIGIN_top.jpg

Thanks for the link, I might have to try that one out to see if I like the idea of pomegranate.

Don't think I have ever seen a pomegranate brew and there is probably a reason for that. Reminds me of the time a guy I know was having a hard time finding an argyle sweater vest...there's a reason you can't find argyle sweater vests for men!

I laughed a little too hard at work after reading that! That "guy" wasn't you was it? j/k. I figure at worse case I waste half a batch of beer and add it to the lessons learned list.

I that case I would brew it according to the recipe, then add the juice to the bottling bucket. Let us know how it comes out. You have inspired me to work up a dunkelweizen in the near future.

Just so ya know... I've brewed 5 batches now and have yet to follow any recipe that I didn't write myself. And my beers are all turning out great so far.

Don't get me wrong, the advice on here has been indispensable so far. But a couple folks warned against overhopping a dunkelweizen (or maybe it was a brown ale) and adding brown sugar for gravity. I ended up calling it "Ipankelweiss" for reasons I'm sure you can guess. It turned out to be one of my most popular brews, and now I have none left and have to make another batch!

Pomegranate dunkel sounds dynamite by the way. I might have to add that into my brew lineup.

For your first 4-5 kits, I suggest sticking to the recipes. Once you get a little experience, then read on, read on and try some of the stuff you can get off this site. Good luck.
+1 to that.
Plus, a dunkel can be wonderful on it's own. If you want to see what it's like with pomegranate, maybe try splitting the batch for comparison.

Back